Chronicle your costume creation and share photos of your disguise.
By Ajax
He usually makes a pattern of his costume so my money is on carol from the walking dead shame really he would have made a great michonne.
By Ajax
shaft28 wrote:Hmmm my money was on Elsa...
:lol:
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Haha. Good guesses. :P

I've slept a bit, yes. But there was also an influx of emails and shop orders around Halloween, including the weekend after. Still tending to that, making sure all emails get an answer.

I'll be catching up with forum posts soon, so stick around. I have some cool photos and stories to share! And I want to look at everything you've all accomplished too!
Photos of my 2014 Halloween costume!

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves first, and then explain at the bottom of this post.

I'm not sure where the idea for this costume came from. Just sort of popped into my head. Like many of my costumes, I didn't really know what it would look like until all the pieces were put together.

Even with the costume on, I didn't know how to verbalize what my character was exactly. People would ask, "So what ARE you?" They seemed frustrated that they couldn't identify my costume with a clear label. It's easy when you can say "I'm a vampire" or "I'm Batman." But with this one, when people asked "What are you supposed to be?" I just replied "Creepy."

Horror movie fans get the gist of it. One of my horror loving friends said to me, "You look like a mix of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Hills Have Eyes and Leslie Vernon: Behind the Mask." Yeah, that's the general idea I was going for.

If I have to title it, I'll call this the Backwoods Butcher. I'm a simple man, with a violent streak, poor dental hygiene and a childlike fondness for wearing a mask of a porcelain doll. Yes, there's blood all over my clothes, but don't worry, it's just pig blood from the farm ...mostly.

Costume construction rundown:
  • Boots were my own winter boots.
  • Brown overalls were from eBay. I stained them with "blood" in the form of latex paint, spread with a mist of water from a spray bottle. Did all this over a plastic tarp. Once dry, I gave them a quick spin in the dryer to soften the clothes and further set the paint.
  • White t-shirt and plaid long sleeve shirt from Goodwill. I stained the t-shirt the same way, but didn't have the heart to paint the plaid shirt. How often do you see a BLACK and ORANGE plaid?
  • Gloves from an old costume (fingers cut off, even a maniac murderer needs to operate his smart phone)
  • Beard was grown myself.
  • Fake teeth by Dental Distortions.
  • Face makeup was simple Halloween cream makeup from a Halloween store. Solid black around my eyes, and sponged/smeared on my face and neck to look dirty.
  • The final important element was the doll mask, which I sculpted and painted myself. Sculpted it with Creative Paperclay, then painted with acrylic paints.
Hope you like it!
Ryan, NO! That is SCARY! You could have gone to one of the local haunted house attractions and just fit right in as a cast member. My first thought was of The Hills Have Eyes or maybe of my last trip into the backwoods of Appalachia (true statement).

The mask is super creepy. It really looks like something a (possible) crazed serial killer would wear or make for himself. It's awesome, maybe a little too good. :P

Those teeth! Not only are they completely gross but they look really authentic as well. Now, I've never seen teeth quite that bad, and still in someone's mouth, but I imagine they would be that nasty looking. They certainly add the perfect touch to the look. I have to wonder if when you spoke with them in did you have a lisp?

The clothing is very authentic as well. Overalls are a staple in the backwoods. I don't blame you for not wanting to mess up the plaid shirt, it's a perfect fall/Halloween shirt!

Did you chase the kids with an exaggerated limp/lurch? I can see you running after them, laughing maniacally.

It's good not to be a certain well known character. My husband always gets asked "what are you?". He usually answers with "scary" or "big" (he's 6'5"). Costumes like that are truly scary, which is what they should be on Halloween.

And lastly those pictures. Please tell me you hired a professional photographer and went to a studio for those pictures and not that you just set up a tripod in your living room and took them. They are absolutely stunning! They are going to look great in that book you write about all thing Halloween and pumpkin carving. :P
That is pure class. I swear I can hear banjos duelling in the background. Pictures are superb, really professional shots. Love them. Favourite photo is number six Cheeky Grin Ugh Huh.

Love that mask, would love to try that myself one day.

Does he have a name? Where are the bodies buried?
Ryan, I have to say, this may be my favorite costume of yours by far!! Maybe it's because backwoods slashers (Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Hills Have Eyes, Leslie Vernon: Behind the Mask.) is one of my favorite sub-genres of horror. The costume and photography is so well done! Bravo sir!

I also love the little Leatherface nod in the first photo.. :wink:
Costume or a regular Friday night out? Amazing, the beard looks so real. I love it, not as epic as undead Ted but it's still awesome. Great job, love the teeth overalls etc but the mask really makes the costume, What's your weapon of choice for this character? I know you haven't shown your revealed your carves yet but 4 ghostbusters on one kin that's not even fair. Any chance there is a pattern of this character that didn't get revealed yet? Amazing job can't wait to see the carves.
This is so simple - and I don't mean that in a bad way, there's clearly nothing "simple" about the work that went into this! - but so perfect. This is my favourite Halloween costume you've ever done. It looks like it could be straight from a film set. The fact that you made that mask is incredible, you should hang that up beside some horror prints, it's so good.

I can't quite verbalise how great I think this costume is, it really has blown me away!
KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!
Gosh Ryan it's monstrous. Genuinely creepy. I can just imagine him eyeing up some canoeing tourists from the waters edge or some campers deep in the forest, miles from anywhere. It's brilliant, i'm just glad there's a huge ocean separating us. :lol:
Awesome! The first couple pictures set a pretty creepy feeling. I like all of the photos. It looks like they were taken in a studio. I also like the black eyes under the mask. I've commented on that before, but still fabulous!

Congrats on yet another fantastic costume. Maybe I need to work on some mask-making skills.