Chronicle your costume creation and share photos of your disguise.
By SuperSonic
Hello all.

As you are well aware, I am making a Mad Hatter costume. I've reached the final stages, but I happen to be stuck.

See that gear on his back? I've made one similar. The only issue is, the shirt that I have is well....fabric. How does someone manufacture a support, like you see in this photo, to attach to a shirt? I've gone through the following ideas:

Foamboard - attach to the gear, attach to the shirt. This may be a cost effective idea, but it's not strong enough to carry the weight. I still don't know how to attach the "supports" to the shirt anyway.

Wood, and even Metal. The only problem I have, is one thing supporting the other. The shirt can't support the metal, while the foamboard cant support the gear!

Does anyone know of a method I can use? I need to make 4, as you can see in the picture.

HEEELLLPPP!!!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Do you have a photo of your gear? If I could see it's size, shape and connection points, that might help stir some ideas in my mind. Also, is it heavy at all?
By SuperSonic
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:Do you have a photo of your gear? If I could see it's size, shape and connection points, that might help stir some ideas in my mind. Also, is it heavy at all?

Its almost exactly as you see it. But I can show you a photo.

The height (from tip to tip) is 20 3/4" Its made out of foam board, I would hazard a guess with all that tape on it it's around 1/8th of a pound. So no, not that heavy. The issue is making a support as you see in the image above, to fit on my back. Also so that it's hidden (hopefully) in my shirt.

I discovered that the foamboard style support I made (a long rectangle), can support the gear. But then what do I do? I want a solid idea (literally) so that it isn't moving around too much.
By monstermash
Are the supports you speak of the things that look like belts/straps on the shirt (looks a bit like a staight jacket). If so could you not just use belts? Leather ones painted or sprayed silver to look like metal. You could make little padlocks out of foam and paint them to look like brass. And is there no way of actually stiching the gear at the top and bottom onto the back of the shirt with a heavy duty thread. I dont know how easy it would be to get thread or string throught the foam board without it breaking off.
I will try and think of other ways that may be easier, sometime the easiest way is the hardest to find.
By SuperSonic
monstermash wrote:Are the supports you speak of the things that look like belts/straps on the shirt (looks a bit like a staight jacket). If so could you not just use belts? Leather ones painted or sprayed silver to look like metal. You could make little padlocks out of foam and paint them to look like brass. And is there no way of actually stiching the gear at the top and bottom onto the back of the shirt with a heavy duty thread. I dont know how easy it would be to get thread or string throught the foam board without it breaking off.
I will try and think of other ways that may be easier, sometime the easiest way is the hardest to find.
Nope. I have the belts figured out. Its the gear support. Notice behind the gear, there are 4 metal supports connecting to the main body? This is what I'm trying to do. Find a way to make it sturdy enough to walk around in, as well as connect it to the main body.

I could care less if it's an easy way out. What I want is a solution. :)
By chuckwagon
what if you attach more foam for the supports, and rig up a sort of belt system that goes on the inside of the shirt that wont be seen so you can strap it to your body in one or two places? it may just require a small poke or cut through the shirt to hide where it comes through to the belts, then you could attach it on the inside?? I guess, kinda like turn the shirt and gear assembly into one piece?
By SuperSonic
chuckwagon wrote:what if you attach more foam for the supports, and rig up a sort of belt system that goes on the inside of the shirt that wont be seen so you can strap it to your body in one or two places? it may just require a small poke or cut through the shirt to hide where it comes through to the belts, then you could attach it on the inside?? I guess, kinda like turn the shirt and gear assembly into one piece?
Could you show a diagram for what you mean? I mean I understand the idea, just not how it looks.
By chuckwagon
this picture is a horrible representation, and it really doesn't show what i'm envisioning, but I can use it as a reference... Imagine those straps for the wings being on the INSIDE of the shirt so they aren't seen, but the wings stay on the outside of the shirt... You'd need to cut out a small hole, or slit in the back of the shirt, and then attach the straps to the actual spinal gear that you made, somehow. This way the shirt, straps, and gear kinda all become one piece.

My alternate idea, which is probably a bit easier, would be just to make a set of straps to attach to the highest of the 4 support posts that you need to add (since they are going around your shoulders), and then cut a slot only as big as you need to thread them through the back of the shirt. the you can put the straps over your shoulders, and pull the shirt sleeves on and it will cover the straps.

All of this is assuming that you're using a full button up shirt. It would still work with a polo or tee, but would be much more difficult to put on

I might be making it sound way more difficult than it needs to be though, sorry, LoL.

Anyway, I hope you get my gist with the description.

By monstermash
zombombie wrote:I couldn't put into words what I was thinking then Chuck comes along and nails it! What he said! :wink:

Yeah, me too! :lol:
Should be nice and secure if you can pull it off.
By nosferatu
If you wanted to keep it really simple you could use self adhesive Velcro pads. Once attached they will be firm whilst also having bait of flexibility when inevitably they get jolted. As your gear is made of lightweight material they would easily hold the supports to the body.

Good luck!
By SuperSonic
nosferatu wrote:If you wanted to keep it really simple you could use self adhesive Velcro pads. Once attached they will be firm whilst also having bait of flexibility when inevitably they get jolted. As your gear is made of lightweight material they would easily hold the supports to the body.

Good luck!
How big/wide are these pads Nosferatu? I might just consider this. I had another idea in mind, but I like this one.
By nosferatu
They come in a variety of sizes and you can also buy it on a roll to cut to size. I. Used ones that are about 3cm square to hang some pictures in my home office. They had a bit of weight to them and seven years later they haven't budged.

They aren't too expensive and a small pack shouldn't cost too much. Saves all the hassle of cutting and sewing if it works.

The tape over here is about three inches wide.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Some good suggestions here, for sure. One big concern that comes to mind for me... because the gear on the back is attached all along a central point (his spine) if your construction is mostly foam and fabric, the whole gear could to wiggle from side to like a fish flapping its tail.

Which is why I think it should be connected to something wider, so it has a stable "base" against your back. I think you're on the right track to use some sort of foam board under your shirt, maybe. This would give it wider contact across your back, so it wont flop around.

Chuck had some good ideas, and that photo of the girl with the wings should give you some ideas. The base plate that the gear is attached to could be held on to your back with shoulder straps of your own making. Other ideas... you could attach the back plate to suspenders worn under the white shirt. Or even use a small backpack. I imagine using a cheap childs backpack, maybe with the outer containing fabric/plastic cut off (so you'd basically be left with the inside-back of the backpack and it's straps).

None of this is guarunteed to work, I would have to play with the components and do some experimenting. Happy engineering, and good luck!