Chronicle your costume creation and share photos of your disguise.
How many of you have seen the movie They Live? The film's hero is Rowdy Roddy Piper, who sadly passed away this year. This gave me the idea to pay tribute with this costume and a matching pumpkin pattern.

Here's my costume for this year... an alien hidden in society, from the They Live.

I was rushing to get this painted on my face (I think I spent a couple hours, but didn't really time myself) and so I didn't get too many progress photos (or photos, in general). But here's one with my face partly painted...

I was wearing full arm gloves (that look like skinned flesh) so I couldn't really use my camera, or anything with a touch screen like my phone. For photography, I was at the mercy of whatever other people took. Here are a few candids... me with the neighbor (whose eyes I apparently stole for my costume), communicating into my alien watch, and holding my matching pumpkin.

Thanks for the comments! See, I knew you guys were the right audience for this sort of theme. You got it. Sadly, on Halloween night nobody knew who I was supposed to be. "Psychedelic Zombie Businessman" was one guess. :lol: But most agreed that It was pretty creepy looking, and sometimes that's all that matters. I had fun referring to the trick-or-treaters as "little humans" and as I handed them candy I subliminally whispered "consume... consume."
Awesome I thought for sure you were going as My little Bronie this year hence that pattern. It has been a long time since I have seen this movie, I went through my John Carpenter phase about 10 years or more ago and haven't really rewatched much in awhile although now I will have to. I'm surprised it hasn't been run on AMC. I did carve the pattern and it was of course reffered to as a sugar skull or day of the dead skull several times. I love the pattern and the costume and the make up colors are so cool love the blues and pinks and the arm detail looks amazing. Congrats on the whole thing.
Ahh, this was my one pattern I wanted to carve that didn't get done. I was trying to guess what your costume might be this year based on the patterns you were releasing. I didn't even think twice about this one.

Your costume each year never ceased to amaze me and you never disappoint! I feel bad now. My costume was based more on "What can I do that is super fast and easy" and here you are creating this masterpiece.

While it's a bit sad no one knew who or what you were, at least it's creepy. :thumbsup:
Outstanding Costume! Alas, as we get older, the gap of what kids think we are and what we think we are gets wider..... Comes with the territory.... What I'd like to know is what paint do you use on your face to get those awesome colors?? Is it acrylic? The generic makeup they have for Halloween is so lacking....

Well done!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ajax wrote:I did carve the pattern and it was of course reffered to as a sugar skull or day of the dead skull several times
My carving of this creature was also referred to as a Day of the Dead skull by some people, but that's okay. I see the resemblances, I like to think it can serve as both, in a way.
Raven wrote:Your costume each year never ceased to amaze me and you never disappoint! I feel bad now. My costume was based more on "What can I do that is super fast and easy" and here you are creating this masterpiece.
You're too kind with the compliments. The overall costume wasn't too difficult. The only thing I really had to construct were the glasses, made from Harry Potter costume frames, with ping-pong ball halves glued to the front and painted. I had all the parts ready to go... on the big day, I could throw on the clothes in a hurry.

But, the one drawback with a costume that relies on face painting - you can't do that ahead of time and just slide it over your head. Nope, you have to set aside a couple hours to do a painting on your skin, that you'll wash off hours later. It's a labor of love.
Minionette wrote:What I'd like to know is what paint do you use on your face to get those awesome colors?? Is it acrylic? The generic makeup they have for Halloween is so lacking...:
I used a Mehron "Paradise" face paint palette. This company Mehron makes face paint sets that come with 8 colors, and the cost is $20-30. The face paint is water activated, and when mixed the the right consistency, it has some really solid pigmented coverage. If you need a color not in the set, you can mix it in a little cup or petri dish. I also bought a small set of blue eyeshadows, to do the light and dark shading on top of the blue face paint (once it had dried).