Chatting haunted houses, horror cons and spooky theme parks.
By purple1worm
Ok not sure where to start but it was a great trip. Sadly the best attraction "Count Orlok's nightmare museum" we were not allowed pics (when you see this stuff :shock: you'll know why). But it was AWESOME! If you're a fan of horror there is something for everyone, from classic to modern day stuff. Really impressive! We got the Double dare pass, pretty cool. The guy at the entrance at the night show was pretty witty too! Later in October they have famous people too. We went too early for that.
So 1st place we went to was the " In a pig's eye " for lunch.

Our first show was at the Gallows hill museum. We got a combo with "Rory Raven's magic lantern tour." The show was cool, put on by only two people. There were several options for shows too.
Here's a pic of the Witch in the lobby:

and Rory's tour

I really enjoyed the tour and it was a good 1st event. It takes you all around the town (1 1/2 hours) and gives some stories on the history of the place and famous people ( Nathaniel Hawthorne ect..). On the tour we passed this statue of Sam (Elizabeth Montgomery) from Bewitched.

The next morning we visited The House of Seven gables. We were not allowed to take pics here either.I enjoyed the tour here too! The tour guide tells you a lot about the history of the place.
Next we went to the witch museum

This place is one of the 1st tourist attractions and recounts the story of the witch trials. How it all started and about the 22 victims (accused). 19 were hung,1 died by pressing and the others died in the dungeons. Very interesting stuff. here's a few pics taken at the Witches dungeon.

The pressing of Gilles Cory

I don't want to recount any stories because I don't want to ruin it for others who might be interested in visiting. It is well worth it! I did learn that few died (most hung) here in the U.S. compared to the thousands in Europe ( mostly burned). Interestingly though the Spanish inquisition is In famous,the Spaniards only killed an estimated 50 compared to England ( 1000) and France ( 5000) the most was in Germany with an estimated 20 000. small wonder "the witches Hammer" was written there.

I've got a few more pics but now I've gotta go watch the premiere of grimm with Static. They'll be more tomorrow.
Thanks for sharing these photos and stories, purple1worm. Salem seems like an interesting place to visit, both for the spooky tourist stuff and some history of the witch trials there. I've always wanted to visit (Salem isn't not too far from me). I even toyed with a couple possible trips this year, but it didn't fit into the schedule. When I eventually do take the road trip, I may use some of your info for planning reference.
By purple1worm
It is well worth the trip. Salem is also known for it's pirates, being one of the 1st ports in America. Many of it's richest and most influential citizens where sea merchants. There are many haunted house attractions too!