Any creepy topic that doesn't fit the categories below.
You see, last year (after Halloween of course) we started getting mail for a guy named Godfrey. We had gotten mail for the past owners before, but no one named Godfrey.

I did some googling and found that Godfrey had been the owner of our home when it was built - he died in 2001.

I've found "some" info on him, birth/death, where he's buried, his military status, his kids names etc

Our nosy neighbor told us that he died in a military/vet hospital when he really wanted to come "home"

So, anyway, we refer to all of our "weird" happenings like knocks, bumps, and sounds as Godfrey - twice recently I've gone to bed upset and felt a warm hand on my shoulder.

I've been trying to find a photo of him online with the info that I have - if anyone is a good sleuth, maybe you can pm me and I can send you the info I have? We're working on a photo wall for the new house and I want to hang a photo of him up (is that weird???)

(and more weird, I've found his Daughter on facebook, but what would it look like if I contacted her?? "Hey, you don't know me, but I bought the house you grew up in and I think your Dad is still here!! Can I have a photo of him?" - I think most people would..um freak?)

Thanks!
Last edited by Lala on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By monstermash
Great story HB. Godfrey sounds like a nice ghost. If you have his last name i'd have thought it would be easier to find a picture. Maybe if you knew the name of the Vet hospital somebody who works there might have known him. He might have even had a friend at the hospital who is still there. Or just ask Godfrey, you never know, he might just answer you! :)
By Lala
Oh, I do know his last name and bunch of info, but still can't find a photo. I just didn't want to post that info here :-)
By monstermash
Yeah, best keep the info private. Keep digging i'm sure you'll find a pic somewhere. Let us know if you do or if you encounter any more ghostly goings on.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Nice story... a bit spooky, but somehow sweet. Even if you think of Godfrey as a ghost, I bet he'd be glad to be remembered and paid tribute to in his old house. Whether it's a force of energy, or just a memory, his spirit lives on.
By CorpseBride
Creepy, yet beautiful at the same time. Rest in peace Godfrey! I am too familiar with the story of people wanting to pass on in their own home..and forces outside of their control do not allow that. Its sad to see. I hope he is happy in his new existence.

I am not a sleuth...so no help there. Where is Gus??? He would surely be able to help.

I don't think its weird to contact the daughter, I would just explain it REALLY well. Who knows! She may be happy to hear her father lives on...or she will think you are a loony. But really, what do you have to lose?
By zombombie
CorpseBride wrote:Creepy, yet beautiful at the same time. Rest in peace Godfrey! I am too familiar with the story of people wanting to pass on in their own home..and forces outside of their control do not allow that. Its sad to see. I hope he is happy in his new existence.

I am not a sleuth...so no help there. Where is Gus??? He would surely be able to help.

I don't think its weird to contact the daughter, I would just explain it REALLY well. Who knows! She may be happy to hear her father lives on...or she will think you are a loony. But really, what do you have to lose?
GUS kind of left CB, he still occasionally haunts the boards though so he might pop up!
By Lala
What doesn't help is that there is (was) a famous musician (from an earlier generation) with his exact same first and last name - so trying to find a pic of MY Godfrey brings up a billion pix of the OTHER Godfrey. I got really excited until I realized it couldn't be him because the photos were taken before he was born!

He's buried in my favorite cemetery (heh) so I think we're going to go for a walk there this week and see if we can find him :-)
By Euri
I agree- sweet and deliciously creepy! If you haven't felt any maliciousness from him, I say hang the picture if you can find it! I'd love to live in a house with a benevolent (I'm NOT excluding mischievous here :wink: ) ghost or spirit. Since he's military you would think finding his picture would be a bit easier. Military archives online? or any other public record? Good luck in your search!
Oh wow!! I can't believe you found it! How did you discover him??

He is a nice looking man...his kind eyes offset the stern/puzzled expression on his face.

Be sure to let us know of any "happenings" now that you have his picture...
I found the photo via Ancestry.com - one of my friends has an account there and helped me :-) This is from this family tree - I also have a photo of him from the year before he died :)
By Kayo
Lala wrote:What doesn't help is that there is (was) a famous musician (from an earlier generation) with his exact same first and last name - so trying to find a pic of MY Godfrey brings up a billion pix of the OTHER Godfrey. I got really excited until I realized it couldn't be him because the photos were taken before he was born!

He's buried in my favorite cemetery (heh) so I think we're going to go for a walk there this week and see if we can find him :-)
be sure to be polite to the graves you dont want anyone fallowing you home because you stepped on their face. i swear people think im nuts because im more polite to the dead than i am the living. i even say excuse me when i have no choice but to step over a grave and refuse to take any part in photographs in a bone yard.