Any creepy topic that doesn't fit the categories below.
By Black Mage
I love Halloween. I love the carving, the decorations, the candy, that costumes...everything! But my problem is that I am somewhat unfortunate to live in Utah, a state that sometimes seems to be run by the LDS, and not the government. Being such a state (very LDS and very conservative) Halloween always seems to go by the wayside. The is always very depressing. A lot of times families are even advised against the holiday. Rather than letting their kids be kids and do real trick-or-treating, many people of the dominant sect will only do "trunk-or-treating." For those who are fortunate enough not to have to deal with this, it's basically where families drive to church and do trick-or-treating from car to car. Stuff like this really seems, at times, to kill the holiday. Some years we are lucky to have even a dozen kids come to the door all evening.

It's all a little depressing.

:(

Anyone else have to deal with this kind of problem?
By mesmark
I'm on the other side of the fence. no wait, behind a differnet fence. I'm in Japan and beyond people wearing costumes, no one knows anything about Halloween.

No one appreciates the time and effort I put into Halloween. They all like it and are willing to jump on board but they think everyone in america goes all out like I do.

People see my 20 pumpkin display and they're probably thinking 'There goes the neighborhood.' because I usually get comments like:

'Neat.'
'Interesting.'
'Hmm.'

(note the lack of exclamation marks.)

But that's OK 'cause I do it for me.

a lot of teachers are having this problem too, but at least they can do similar things. They just have to call it 'Fall Harvest Festival' or something like that, not Halloween.
By sodajazz
I love halloween :D

Last year for the first time ever my daughters school (roman catholic) held a halloween ball .......they were awarding prizes for best costume and decorated the school hall ........so to get into the spirit of things i carved a few pumpkins nothing too horror ish ..... and i even put lights in them ...not candles

get this ..... the head teacher thought it was in bad taste

I guess some people still think halloween will corupt young minds ... and if thats the case my two kids are well and truly corrupted :lol:
By Tkaraoke
According to "those people" we are all born sinners and are going straight to hell....might as well have some fun along the way!
:twisted:
By Black Mage
If a number of Disney movies have taught me correctly, I'm assuming that Halloween is a very popular holiday on Salem, Mass. Is this true at all?

Seems like every move that takes place in Salem on Halloween shows it to be one heck of a celebration.
By Pumpkingrower
the spectacle that takes place in Salem MA is one to behold. The town transforms into a halloween virtuosity. There always those who take the tourism and try to turn a buck for the most part the people who live there love it or I suppose they would move. I went 9 years ago and have been trying to make it back ever since. I live only a hour or so away but with 4 pumpkins of my own running about it can make it difficult. I wish all you hardcore All Hallows Eve fans could make it. Tis Great.
By Black Mage
Sounds great! Too bad I'm on the other side of the country, other wise I'd be there every year!
By Dans banana Loafcake
Yeah and I'm half way around the world. But I'd love to see it too.

My mothers old school ( she's retired now) was like that. It was a church of England school and Halloween was banned! :x Stupid!

Dan
By Flak
Halloween is receeding from my town, we used to have lots of trick or treaters and decorations and everything, now it's a stretch to find a decorated house. Maybe it's just because I'm living on the other side of town but no one gets the spirit anymore it seems.
By GeologySage
It seems to still be going here... my particular block never got alot of trick or treaters... but we do dress up the houses... I'm lucky that not only do my neighbors dress up the houses for Xmas... but just as much for Halloween.

What gets me, is a bit up the street from our house... within our community, we have a family... that will have their light on during Haloween, but have a big paper on their door that reads "WE DON'T CELEBRATE EVIL HOLIDAYS, DON'T KNOCK!"...

It's like... give me a frickin' break.

Anyways, a town a bit over where my grandparents live they get hundreds of trick or treaters each year... hasnt been dying down too much. Houses over there prety much all dress up or have a light on for trick or treaters.

At least around here people don't seem to be too much away from Halloween... but those who are... seem to be stuck up and too obsessed with what Halloween used to be... guess they don't understand commercialization. Maybe they're just upset that Christmas and Easter have more to do with Santa and the Easter Bunny than Jesus nowadays... and wont give in to Halloween having the same fate and just being a fun holiday? lol...
By Black Mage
GeologySage wrote:What gets me, is a bit up the street from our house... within our community, we have a family... that will have their light on during Haloween, but have a big paper on their door that reads "WE DON'T CELEBRATE EVIL HOLIDAYS, DON'T KNOCK!"...
HA HA! People like that seriously make me laught. Plus, they're fun to toy with. :twisted: