Any creepy topic that doesn't fit the categories below.
By Flak
Halloween is dying in my town. Anything that won't make this community even more filthy rich eventually gets fazed out. About half of the houses on my street used to decorate but now it's only my house and I don't really even bother anymore because we only get four kids stopping by at most. For the first time in my life I'm jealous, my friend is going to the Bronx back to her old neighborhood and everyone there gets really into it, I'm so envious.
By Jessi
I totally feel for you, dude. My old neighborhood was like that, I was the only person on the street with my light on or any decorations. The kids wouldn't even bother coming down my way. I would probably get 10 kids at most.

Last year was my first year in my new house. We were totally understocked on candy. We had over 100 kids and ran out of candy after about an hour. (and they all really enjoyed the pumpkins I had carved, It was a great way to meet my new neighbors) This year I am prepared. I have put together 120 little treat bags and have a stash of back up candy just in case.
By Flak
It's tempting to eat the candy we bought for my grandmother's house, she gets a lot of visitors. Maybe I can carve her pumpkin this weekend. Next year I might even decorate her house, I've always had lots of ideas for it. Next Halloween is going to be huge because it will probably be one of the last ones at home for me.
By Dragon
Thanks for explaining Guy Fawkes night, Dans!
By taber
Cool we just got a thing under our door from our apartment community - I guess we hang a sign on our door if we want trick or treaters. I think we'll go for the gold and buy some candy. Our dog will freak out when they come, but it shall be a fun occasion!!!!!! Now we have an excuse to buy tons of candy!! Wooo!
By Dans banana Loafcake
No worries Dragon glad I could help. Some people use pumpkins as the head of the straw guy that they throw on the bonfire. I always think its good to learn abit more about traditions from other lands, Unfortunatley as you can tell by the posts, Halloween is still very much a US tradition.... but one day eh?

Dan
By popshed
I don't recall having any Trick or Treaters last year but I made the effort to attract business this year.
The local schools run a scheme in the area inviting people to put notices up in their windows if they don't want visitors. I think that's the wrong way to go as it is a negative way to do it. They should send out notices to the parents encouraging trick or treating but only visiting those houses which put up signs or pumpkins or candles which are obviously intended to attract visitors.
I don't have kids myself but as a kid I know Hallowe'en was generally a wash out because no-one really did it. Most kids would walk around in black plastic bin liners thinking that was somehow a good substitute for a cape. I wish that we'd do it in style.
So this year I put blood on the doorbell and letterbox and covered a lab coat in bloodied hand prints and answered the door with two bowls.

"Trick or Treat?"
"Well that depends on you doesn't it?"

Both bowls were topped up with sawdust and looked the same. One had treats in it, the other had brain coloured jelly (jello to you yanks) and mushrooms.

It seemed to go well. A number of kids kept coming back with new kids encouraging them to put their hands in the yucky bowl.

I probably had about 10 separate visits and I'm pretty sure word had spread about the effort put in. My Zombie Pumpkins were appreciated too.

We far prefer Hallowe'en to any other calendar day because there is no expectation which comes with it. No buying presents, no receiving presents and trying to look happy about it. No family visits. No weeks of pre-event tension about where you have to go this year. Unfortunately there's also no holiday. It would be nice to have the day off to get all the prep work done for the evening.

Now, what to do next year...
By matspud
Was listening to the Radio yesterday and they were saying how Halloween started as a celtic celebration and a lot of the traditions started in Scotland, went over to the USA ,evolved and have started to come back in their new form. As kids we used to carve turnips ( blooming difficult Pumpkins are soo much easier) and there are several stories behind this. Trick or Treating was ( and still is) known as Guising. and was a way to confuse the spirits. Over here we try to get the kids to do something before they get their treat ( sing a song, tell jokes etc).

There were loads of really interesting explantions on that program and I'm damned if I can remember them.

Like Halloween, Guy Fawkes night ( bonfire nirs night) has been affected by the liabilty culture with organised events becoming the norm. although fireworks are freely available in supermarkets etc, which makes the safetly aspect a bit null and void. You don't often see bonfire excpet at these events and I have't seen a burning Guy for several years ( PC again)
By Dragon
Oh man, only once have I ever been told, "Trick!" after I said, "Trick or Treat!" The guy sat on the front porch with a costume on and had the longest line of kids in front of his house I had ever seen. It explained why because he basically made every kid work for their candy. I just remember telling him some lame joke but did get the candy after. :lol: