Any creepy topic that doesn't fit the categories below.
By mesmark
I was wondering how often people check their pumpkins for soft spots or other signs of rotting.

A local farmer grows pumpkins for me and he usually brings them by toward the end of September. So, I spend a month or so wondering how many of them will make it to the carving bench. Sometimes I forget or just don't do it and one will go all mushy and bleed juices on to my garage floor. :(

I went out today and I found 3 that probably need to be carved this week, else they go straight to the compost pile.

So, how often do you check your pumpkins? Do you have a rule that seems to work?
I find it depends on the weather. If there has been a frost prior to my purchasing them, then I know they might go off quicker so I check them more frequently. Same goes for warm weather after they have made it into my garage. If the weather is colder when they are sitting awaiting their fate, I tend to leave them alone.
Of course I've had early rotters in the past. The worst was the one that leaked rotten pumpkin juice on indoor carpet. Took forever to get rid of that smell!

Here we are in late September and I also have the majority of my pumpkins picked and at my home. When I bring them home, I give them a thorough rinse and wipe down, to get rid of all the dirt. And while doing this I inspect for any hint of a potential problems. If I find a pumpkin with what looks like a potential bad spot, I'll keep that one toward to the front of my pumpkin pile so I can keep a closer eye on it.

As for how often I actually look them over, my schedule is usually - whenever I'm walking by them and realize "Wow, I haven't inspected the pumpkins lately!" :lol:

So yeah, I sometimes forget to check for a while. But I've never had one go to mush under my nose, to the point of not being salvageable for an emergency carve. It helps that I keep my pumpkins inside, in a place where I'm almost literally tripping over them. So I never suffer from "out of sight, out of mind."
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:As for how often I actually look them over, my schedule is usually - whenever I'm walking by them and realize "Wow, I haven't inspected the pumpkins lately!" :lol:
Yeah, that's sort of been my rule, but it seems to work just enough to find the bad ones right when they need to be cut up or thrown out.

Amanda - yes. They sit on a concrete floor but I usually put newspaper down. Should I put cardboard or something softer below them?
I put all my pumpkins on cardboard. I have no scientific evidence regarding the value of doing this. I've just always figured it couldn't hurt to provide a little cushioning, and perhaps the cardboard lets the touching pumpkin skin "breathe" more than a non-porous floor surface.
mesmark wrote: Amanda - yes. They sit on a concrete floor but I usually put newspaper down. Should I put cardboard or something softer below them?
I always read that something about the concrete makes them rot faster. I put down a pallet, cardboard, etc under them.
By matspud
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:I put all my pumpkins on cardboard. I have no scientific evidence regarding the value of doing this. I've just always figured it couldn't hurt to provide a little cushioning, and perhaps the cardboard lets the touching pumpkin skin "breathe" more than a non-porous floor surface.
I also put them on cardboard or old carpet.
By Ajax
Usually if I'm in the shower I'll give them a squeeze make sure there's no irregularities. Wait what?
By Ash
I like to visually inspect mine every couple of days. I find talking to them helps prolong their life and keep them healthy. This is normal right? I can't be the only one who talks to their 'Kins... :thumbsup: