Any creepy topic that doesn't fit the categories below.
By BrookR1
So I decided to do it. I carved a turnip. I found the largest turnip I could find after searching two stores. I saw a clip on YouTube about how to carve a turnip and followed the pattern. The turnip was too small to slap a ZP stencil on, so I went with a standard jack face.

Overall, it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Maybe our turnips here in the US aren't as hardened as the ones in Scotland...Scots are legendary for their toughness. 8) Oh well, I took a crack at it using the traditional knife and spoon method. My Pumpkin Gutter was too large to use on it anyway. Overall, I think it took me about 20 minutes.

Here you are...enjoy. :D

Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:I've never carved a turnip. :? Some of you have more credibility than I.

Although I have carved a sweet potato, butternut squash, watermelon, lemon, banana, carrot and grape!
A Grape?! I'm trying to wrap my head around that one, what kind of carving machine are you? :D :D :D :D
BrookR1, that's great! A traditional turnip lantern. Well done. Nice to see the process photos. Seems doable. One day I will.

As for having carved a grape, my little cousins challenged me to try it. Don't be too impressed. I just cut a super simple face into it. I didn't hollow it out or put a candle in it, of course. :P