Any creepy topic that doesn't fit the categories below.
I was reading the paper today. Hints from Helen or whatever her name is, had an article from an emergency Nurse. "You should only give out Allergy free candy . this is the only way you can 100% be sure YOU ARE not responsible for a death"
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! What a bummer. Why would they publish that???

First off , any parent with an allergic child would be more than aware of the dangers involved with Trick or Treat and take safe measures.

Secondly, 80% of the candies made for the holiday are from Milk, Soy, or nuts. Yet it is our responsibility.
Hah!

My wife and i had this very debate while at costco contemplating the giant boxes of candy i'd stuck in the buggy. NO she says, cant give these ones, theyre not peanut free.

Huh?

You're telling me i'm supposed to buy the non dairy, sugar free, peanut free, gluten free candies?

We had those when i was a kid. Remember those terrible caramel things in the halloween themed wax paper that no one liked? Yeah, we didn't like the houses that gave those things out. LOL

No, i think if your child has a known allergy it's your responsibilty as a parent to screen the candies your child has collected from the strangers that live in your neighbourhood. And then i'll thank my lucky stars i don't live in a place where i'd be able to sue for spilling the hot coffee I ordered on myself.

On second thought, honey, let me load up on reeece's peanut butter cups. Tomorrow morning i'll get cold feet about giving them out and i'll have to eat them all myself. Saves me having to eat my daughter's!

Hah!
I really should have had kids since these days it seems like it's up to everyone else to raise them but the parents. My mom went through every single piece of my candy when I was a kid looking for razor blades. I'm sure other parents can do the same thing, just look for razor blades and peanuts.

I saw a local news story today about a town not far from me that issued "rules" for Trick or Treating. I can't remember them all but they were things like "No trick or treaters over the age of 12", "All ToTers must be accompanied by someone 21 or older" and "All ToTing will end by 8 p.m.".

The sad part is a lot of the people making these "rules" are my age. Halloween was fun when I was a kid! They obviously don't remember. :thumbsdown:
Ugh, this is a beef with me. Now every parent wants to go to trunk-or-treats only, no houses. The F is up with that? And if I give you free candy, you better not scold my ass for it not being vegan or soy free or something. This is Halloween, not a vegan commune. Not that there is anything wrong with a vegan commune, but I am not running one for trick-or-treat in my unsafe peanut coated pumpkin covered yard. Parents these days are so into 'sanitizing' all holidays and childhood experiences. I worry my generation was the last to be dropped off after dark to trick or treat, walking thru the dark with our pillow cases singing Halloween songs.
I agree with all of the above. My dad always screened our candy.
If you have a child with an allergy than it is your responsibility to check for potential allergens not those giving the candy out.
Oh trunk or treat, ruining my haunt since 2004.

I am "nice" and I have Snickers (Gluten Free), I don't give out peanut butter cups (I buy them, but they are for us) and I have little toys from my photography business. If they don't tell me they have an allergy, they get what I give.

I always get kind of peeved when the kid won't say "Trick or Treat". If the child can't, that's fine, maybe a nice smile and wink from the parents to let me know they have some issues....

sigh...
In all honesty it should be up to the parents to take care of that. If their kid gets candy that they are allergic to get rid of it. You can't blame the person who handed it out, because there is no way they could have known. It's not like you can look at a kid and tell they have an allergy.
Nonsense! Yes, it's the responsibility of the parents to monitor something like that. What happens if the kid goes to the movies and gets a box of cracker jacks. Is the theater responsible for an allergic reaction? No!

Also, if you are giving out Snickers or some other store bought candy, how would anyone even be able to prove which house it came from?
When I was buying candy I thought about peanut allergies and grabbed some Tootsie Pops just in case anyone asked for something peanut free. But also like Tootsie Pops anyway and have eaten like half a bag already.

So while I'm glad to offer a reasonable alternative, I agree that it should be the parents responsibility to check their kid's candy. Besides, I learned once I grew up that the check-for-razorblades ritual was mostly a way for parents to covertly swipe some candy. Or at least that's what my parents did :lol: