Any creepy topic that doesn't fit the categories below.
By taber
We have a squirrel or two in the tree outside our front door. They've eaten the tops right off a couple of tiny pumpkins that we weren't planning on carving, but still, what the hell squirrels? Stick to nuts, damn you.

We'd like to keep 'em off our pumpkins. Anyone have any suggestions that they've tried (that work)? I googled a bit and saw some recommendations, but they were mainly for gardens. (Petroleum jelly + chili powder, etc).

Thanks!
:)
Peppermint oil seems to detract most varmint - at least the garbage pickers (racoons, possum, etc.).

Though my trusty Daisy Powerline 856, BSA scope and a few RWS SuperDomes, seem to make right quick work of them, as well. Especially when they start gnawing a new hole into the attic.

-Fred
I've heard sprinkling cayenne pepper is suppose to keep them away. I'm trying it tonight. 5 of my 7 'kins got bit. One pretty badly too! :)=
Thankfully the other 4 only got a small bite each. Probably because the squirrel got a belly full from this one!
Gigatron wrote: Especially when they start gnawing a new hole into the attic.

-Fred
So it's not only my attic they like to chew their way into? My roof is 3 stories up and they still find their way up there and eat through the shingles! Annoying little creatures.

They stay away from my pumpkins though, although I caught a raccoon rolling one down the driveway once. :P

I don't have any pellet guns, but I do have a few that will pretty much vaporise a squirrel. :wink:
I'd just bring the pumpkins inside where thy can't get to them. My kid wants to hold and touch the pumpkins, wouldn't want to put something on them that he could get on him.
Squirrels. Yeah.

This is a major factor in me using foam. We have enough squirrels in the neighborhood that you can put out a pumpkin and within a few hours, they have virtually destroyed them.

I get it - what we see as decorations, they see as sustenance. Can't really argue with them.

I've heard that if you place mothballs around the area of the display, it keeps them away. (It also keeps skunks away, FYI, if you have a skunk problem.)
Thanks for the mothballs suggestion, EarthGBilly. I put some cayenne pepper on them and that seemed to do the trick. Luckily on the big day there were so many kids/parents around that it wasn't an issue then, just leading up to it.