Propose new ZP merchandise or review the goods you've ordered.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I wanted to run this by you fine minions... the shop is prepped to offer some new items this year... although due to some changes in the production methods, not everything will be quite ready in time for the site launch. So I'm wondering how to handle that. The way I see it, these would be the options. Which would you find preferable?

1) Only display and sell items that are currently in stock and ready to ship. The downside to this is that customers may place an order, and then see new items appear later that they wished they had bought with the original purchase (to combine shipping).

2) Sell items that are in stock, but also display upcoming items labeled "Coming soon." This will at least allow customers to know what is coming, so they can hold off ordering if they wish, and do one big purchase later when everything is in stock.

3) Sell items that are in stock, but also sell upcoming items as a "pre-order." Then ship available items immediately, and ship the pre-ordered items later (which would add up to more shipping costs for the customer).

4) Sell items that are in stock, but also sell upcoming items as a "pre-order." Then wait to ship all the items together when they're all available. The customer will have to wait longer to receive the items, but will only be charged once for shipping.

So what do you think? I know this especially matters to overseas customers, since shipping costs and transit time is more of an issue.
By Ajax
I'd say 2. Gives people the option to wait and I think it would make it easier on you giving you more time to make more patterns :D
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Choice 2 is a good option, although the downside for me could be - sales could be slowed while people wait for the new items to become available. And when the new items are in stock, I could be burdened with packing a huge rush or orders in a short time.

Choice 3 and 4 allow orders to flow in at a more even pace, but the downside is that I'd have to juggle quite a few orders that are "in limbo" - perhaps with some half-fulfilled, while having to remember to ship out the rest of the goods when available.
By SuperSonic
Ajax wrote:I'd say 2. Gives people the option to wait and I think it would make it easier on you giving you more time to make more patterns :D

Arguably Ajax, all the options would allow him to launch and finally give us our patterns :D

I like option 4 to be honest. It allows everyone to see whats instore, pre-order it, then have it all as one shipping charge. Personally this is why I've held back on buying things lately, and pre-ordering would be a nice touch.

So I'm all for the pre-orders.

Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:Choice 2 is a good option, although the downside for me could be - sales could be slowed while people wait for the new items to become available. And when the new items are in stock, I could be burdened with packing a huge rush or orders in a short time.

Choice 3 and 4 allow orders to flow in at a more even pace, but the downside is that I'd have to juggle quite a few orders that are "in limbo" - perhaps with some half-fulfilled, while having to remember to ship out the rest of the goods when available.
While I agree with this statement as well, I think the way to handle that would be to just put up a approximate date as to when the items will come in. The buyer then chooses whether they want to pre-order.

If they choose to do so, you could then put something like this site does when there are pre-order items.
Last edited by SuperSonic on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Ajax
You could use option 3 and 4 simply by making it an option.

Send my items as they become available.

Send my items in one shipment.

People could check the option they want relizing one may cost them more shipping.
By Ajax
I would remove option one because we all want to see what your sellin as soon as we can :D
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Ajax wrote:I would remove option one because we all want to see what your sellin as soon as we can :D
Agreed there, Ajax.
Ajax wrote:You could use option 3 and 4 simply by making it an option.
Send my items as they become available.
Send my items in one shipment..
Good idea, although it would need to calculate shipping rate differences depending on the choice (fees for 1 shipment, or split into 2). I don't think the shopping cart software has the capability to do that sort of math.
SuperSonic wrote:I like option 4 to be honest. It allows everyone to see whats instore, pre-order it, then have it all as one shipping charge.
I think you nailed it, SuperSonic. The only downside to option 4 is making the customer wait a little bit for the parts of the order that could be shipped sooner. But the rest is all win-win-win. Customers can secure everything they will want, and only have pay one shipping charge. And on my end, I'd only need to fulfil their order once, which makes the packing/shipping task easier.

I like the explanation you linked to. Basically saying, "Because you are only charged one shipping charge, any order containing multiple pre-orders or other non-preorder items will be shipped simultaneously. Please note this may cause delays for the prior released pre-order."

I will, of course, have an estimated shipment date posted. And don't worry, even if your shipping is held back while we await your pre-ordered items, I expect to have everything in stock by very early October, so you'd get your goods in plenty of time for Halloween. I may even reward your patience with speedier shipping, or extra freebie treats included in the package.
By SuperSonic
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:
SuperSonic wrote:I like option 4 to be honest. It allows everyone to see whats instore, pre-order it, then have it all as one shipping charge.
I think you nailed it, SuperSonic. The only downside to option 4 is making the customer wait a little bit for the parts of the order that could be shipped sooner. But the rest is all win-win-win. Customers can secure everything they will want, and only have pay one shipping charge. And on my end, I'd only need to fulfil their order once, which makes the packing/shipping task easier.

I like the explanation you linked to. Basically saying, "Because you are only charged one shipping charge, any order containing multiple pre-orders or other non-preorder items will be shipped simultaneously. Please note this may cause delays for the prior released pre-order."

I will, of course, have an estimated shipment date posted. And don't worry, even if your shipping is held back while we await your pre-ordered items, I expect to have everything in stock by very early October, so you'd get your goods in plenty of time for Halloween. I may even reward your patience with speedier shipping, or extra freebie treats included in the package.
That particular site is very well built. It's main purpose is a seller for band/various other merchandise. I've also pre-ordered things from them before. Having first hand experience was key to that link. I shop online and in-store, so I'm well acquainted to the pros and cons of each. Glad I could help :)

That perk would be absolutely fantastic! Wouldn't mind a few more goodies! :twisted: The speedier shipping would be more appropriate I imagine however.
By S.A.M
I agree option 4 would be the best, I don't mind waiting at all and pre-ordering will ensure you don't miss out on the items you want e.g shirts go up and they do sell out quick so are you going to wait for the other items and risk not getting a shirt? This way you don't have to make that call, I like it.

A word of caution for international customers though, one big package may end up costing more in import fees rather than two smaller packages with separate shipping, crazy but I know it has been the case in the past.
By zombombie
S.A.M wrote:A word of caution for international customers though, one big package may end up costing more in import fees rather than two smaller packages with separate shipping, crazy but I know it has been the case in the past.
That's a good point. I guess you'll have to wait up the pros and cons when it comes to it. Or just pray to the Great Pumpkin that what you want to order is all there already and light ;)
By Zombie Pumpkins!
You bring up another great point, Dadja. International orders can sometimes get hit with a fee upon import. No need to unnecessarily split up shipments and risk extra costs.

And regarding holding an item for people, in the past I would have to physically set the item (or packing slip) aside in my office and remember who it was promised to. But now... another perk of this new shopping cart is that I can allow pre-orders, which also automatically deducts from the inventory count. Even if your package isn't shipping right away, you can be assured that the requested item is reserved for you, with no chance of someone else swiping it away.