Propose new ZP merchandise or review the goods you've ordered.
By nosferatu
Got a letter from Royal Mail telling me that they are holding an international parcel for me. I know its the first of my two orders from the shocking shop. They want £20.03 approx $35 to release it.

Like last year, I don't mind paying the vat on the goods I buy. I accept that. What really annoys me is the attitude of Royal Mail and being forced to pay a clearance fee. Particularly as I know my second delivery is next week and that I will get another letter.

The reason it gets my goat so much is that I know if I'm not in, they'll leave it outside. Not bad if you live in sunny California but when you live in a constant, rainy climate - its not the best idea. They did this with a box of invitations that we ordered on line that ended up expensive papier mache.

If they don't leave it outside, they take it back to the depot where they treat parcels with no respect whatsoever. It's always lovely to receive a parcel clearly marked fragile with a boot mark on it.

The sooner they are privatised the better.
I agree Nos the clearance fee really annoys me. At least you got a letter. Last year I was waiting for an important package that I knew would have a customs charge on it. I waited and waited and waited. Nothing. Ivisited the local Royal Mail depots ( both very helpful but nothing) checked with the seller re carrier and eventually decided to make the 50 mile round trip to the nearest parcel force depot just on the off chance. It was there and sure enough had customs to pay. The only thing was the customs people had neglected to send out a letter. Luckily I got to it before it was returned to the sender. Seems that this happens quite regularly.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Ugh, sorry to hear about how Royal Mail handles your parcels once they get near to you. I pack orders as securely and quickly as I can on my end. I wish they treated things better on your end. :(
By matspud
Maybe we should just send some ZP after them. Looking forward to getting my parcel next week (customs and Royal Mail willing ha ha )
By hkzombie
matspud wrote:Maybe we should just send some ZP after them. Looking forward to getting my parcel next week (customs and Royal Mail willing ha ha )
Yes, I agree. We will send the ZP'z to where they need to go! Royal Mail SUCKS! I just can't beleive how they hassle you, all you want is your friggin' package!
By nosferatu
When I rang them on Saturday to pay the fee they told me they could deliver it that day for an extra £12 ($18.00).

I said, "No thanks, Monday would be fine."

They said, "Sorry.It doesn't work like that, the parcel has to be located then placed on the correct van, You'll get it Wednesday."

I think the phrase "incandescent with rage" would be quite appropriate to describe how I felt on Saturday. I physically could not speak because I know that the words I would have used would not have been pleasant. I felt like Michael Douglas in Falling Down.

If they don't deliver on Wednesday, DFens will rise again!
By monstermash
That's really awful, what a bloody rip off. My package arrived without hassle last year. Hearing this kind thing of puts me off buying outside the UK.

You should drop something unpleasant into the post box. :twisted:
By GUS
monstermash wrote:That's really awful, what a bloody rip off. My package arrived without hassle last year. Hearing this kind thing of puts me off buying outside the UK.

You should drop something unpleasant into the post box. :twisted:
It's parcelforce who tend to deal with this, thus the exorbitant we've got you hostage surcharge.
By nosferatu
GUS is right. Parcelforce have got the package. It remains to be seen if they turn up tomorrow
By matspud
OK, for the moment, parcelforce is my friend. My ZP package arrived yesterday. Delivered ( sensibly put in a safe place where the rain couldn't get it and out of sight) and, even better, NO CUSTOMS CHARGE. Yipppppeeeeeeeeee :D :D
By GUS
Part of the way round is to have lower value goods (check the limit via google) to get it in under the radar)
Matspud, may I snoop as to costs p+p & items to do the same.?
By matspud
That was the weird part. I have been caught by customs for far less than this :? The total was $156.

Usually they work out the charges based on the $ amount although I have had this out with them in the past reminding them that $100 is not the same as £100. :roll:
By GUS
Pure & simple then you got lucky!
I've had so many large packages from the us & only a few have been customed, regardless of value..
The annoying thing is to the unfamiliar that it implies(or did) that you need to pick it up & pay, (easier for them) compared to via the phone & out for delivery, we got caught like that once & had to travel to cambridge depot, that said, sometimes its less hassle thopugh more costly.
By matspud
It is purely luck. :? It was great to be lucky for a change :D .
Even better for me was the fact that they were sensible enough to leave it in a safe place as opposed to me having to go to Perth to collect it :D
By GUS
MS, that's where it is good to get to know your delivery people, times like that I always ring & enquire as to the person via the supervisor in order to say thanks for a job well done (well they could have just tossed it somewhere wet & stupid), it often means alot & the drivers tend to remember for next time.