Request a pumpkin pattern or critique the current collection.
By 2k3
Sign pumpkins to help guide trick-or-treaters... such as "this way" or "welcome" inscribed inside an arrow or with a pointing hand.

Or a double carved pumpkin placed at the entrance/exit to your walkway, bidding a scary welcome (beware) on one side and a frightful goodbye on the other.

Or still other party signs like "trick or treat" or simply "treats" to use the pumpkin as a bowl to pass out or display the candy from.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I once thought about making a stencil that says something like, "No More Candy Left" but that would just be asking for a smashing. :P
By Hollow
I once thought about making a stencil that says something like, "No More Candy Left" but that would just be asking for a smashing.
You hit the nail square on the head with that observation!

The front porch light was shut off once all candy supplies had been depleted. About twenty minutes or so later the doorbell rang. You guessed it! Clueless teenage Trick or Treaters, who obviously did not get the "No Porch Light Means No More Candy" memo, stood outside our front door. After kindly explaining the whole no lights no candy thing they left, and I know all pumpkins were in tact at that time.

Before putting the kids to bed, I went outside to extinguish what had been yet another successful display of Zombie Pumpkins. To my horror, I discovered my favorite ZP had been smashed beyond recognition! The sidewalk in front of my house resembled a sick and twisted pumpkin crime scene. The "Pumpkin King" was no more, but he will live again next Halloween.
By adam
It just dawned on me what is missing from the wonderful and best Halloween stencils known as ZP.... fun Halloween like phrases. Something like "Rotten patch this way," or "Most Sincere," (from peanuts). I was trying to think of others!

You could easily incorporate skulls, spiderwebs etc into the words/phrases. You could do some really fun and creepy stuff like 'Vampire Bar" with someone being bit with a blood drop...I don't know but I thought I would put you on that path with some ideas. "Ye Olde Witch Shop," "A Rotten Witch Lives Here."

Just something I thought of considering most of them that pumpkin masters ever did were not all that great. I think there was ONE I was so impressed with that was a skull that had writing incorporated into the top and lower region of the skull. I can't remember what it said off the top of my head. But I thought you could kick some ass and reinvent the words on pumpkins.

I also thought, why not try to reinvent the shadow idea, I have NO idea how to shadows on the backs of pumpkins, if there was a section about how to do it properly, I would LOVE to have a front and back stencil. Just something I was thinking about lately.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Thanks for the thoughtful thoughts Adam. I've actually been considering this and it just might happen. If others like this idea, let me know and post your suggestions for phrases that you think would be cool or useful for your displays.
By Nightwatchman
Over the years I have carved warning signs into pumpkins. they are always well recieved by the trick-or-treaters. Some of the phrases that I have used are Turn Back, Keep Out, and Beware.

We moved to a new home 3 years ago after 18 years in the same home, that year I carved a sign that said Good Bye to let everyone know that the pumpkins would not be there next year.
Last edited by Nightwatchman on Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Pumpkin Hunter
This is a great idea, would love to have a few warnings carved leading up the path.
By gregh3196
I like the idea also, it would be cool to see some ZP phrases
By pumkin-lights
how about something like
ZOMBIE PUMPKIN PATCH
just to have as a lead up to the patterns :wink:
By Pumpkin Hunter
What about the web address as a stencil for the back of the pumpkin. Nothing wrong with a bit of advertising. I also like the idea of having a zombie pumpkin patch one.
By matspud
There is a stencil that says "Zombie Pumpkins" ( either that or I am imagining things again......better go back on the meds :D )

I like the idea of more signs/sayings with the ZP twist. "We're going to get you!" would be my suggestion :D or " Don't Turn Round!" even just "RUN"
By amandap80
Of course, the standards:
'Boo'
'Eek'
Maybe a 'Welcome Fall'
I second a 'Most Sincere', since I am a peanuts junkie.
Some phrases might be cool, but too long for a pumpkin like:
"I'll get you, my pretty."
"Poppies"
"Fly!" (maybe with a monkey)
'What a world!"
Of course, I have lots of Wizard of Oz themed requests.
By stormqueen29
Why didn't I ever think of this as being missing here?

There are a few PM patterns I like, the "Beware" on a fence with claws climbing it. The "Fright This Way" sign in a skeletal hand. The "Welcome" cave.

And I believe the one that adam is think about I'm pretty sure is the "Trick or Treat" skull. The words actually form the outline of a skull. Very cool. This is a pic of it.

I would love for Ryan's twisted mind to run with these ideas, there is just so much you could do with this, even give it a special section here on the site when enough were done.

As for what words/phases..

Danger - is one that comes to mind
Zombies Ahead - is another
It's Alive! or They're Alive! - that could work

You could even go fun with things like:

Witch Crossing or Zombie Crossing
Spell Casting Zone
Beware of Werewolf or Beware of Hell Hound
Dismembering Zone Ahead
Broom Parking

The possibilities are endless!

Gale
I know it's not super cool, but I would like to see some patterns on here with actual phrases carved in a spooky way.
I used to have patterns like this and now I can't find any. Like ghosts spelling out "Happy Halloween" or "Beware", "Turn Back!", "Trick or Treat" etc... :roll: