Request a pumpkin pattern or critique the current collection.
By Chewy
A few years ago PumpkinMasters put out a book of centerpiece patterns - with moderately intricate designs that wrap all the way around the pumpkin. I did one (and lost the pattern book); and recall it was quite the challenge to carve, but the results were spectacular.

Since I'm probably like most of you and think that Ryan's style is so much better than the mixed bag of PM stuff, would love to see what kind of panoramic image he could come up with to use the whole pumpkin.

That would be SO cool! And, not just because i'm itching to carve another.

and, now, i'll apologize if it's already been suggested and I missed the post.
By nosferatu
I haven't seen any centrepiece patterns before but they sound very cool. I think one based on Creature Reacher i.e. hands interlinked and eyes poking out would look quite effective but easily achievable for those of us whose carving hands treat a pumpkin like a hammer treats a nail or something based on Rodin's Gates of Hell for those with the patience and a pumpkin that could last long enough to complete
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Interesting idea. If you carved all the way around though, wouldn't you see the holes on the opposite side if you look straight through it? If anyone has any pics of this style of design done, post some reference and maybe it will inspire me!
By Chewy
unfortunately I didn't take any photos. Hopefully someone else has some. The one I did definitely showed the carving on the back wall when you looked through it but I don't recall it taking away from the pumpkin.

Lit up, sitting in the center of the table it was very impressive!
By stormqueen29
Of course, they way around that could be to make like a cylinder of parchment paper to fit inside the pumpkin and place a battery light in the center of the cylinder.

The battery light would be safe and bright, and the parchment paper would allow light through while preventing you from seeing the holes on the opposite side of the pumpkin.

You could even use yellow paste food coloring to "paint" the parchment paper on the outside to make it less noticable.

Just a thought.

Gale
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Gale, that solves the problem! Maybe I'll have to take a crack at a wrap-around pattern design. Might be tough to determine how long the design should be in order to wrap around though, since every pumpkin has a different circumference.
By Dadja
zombiepumpkins wrote:Might be tough to determine how long the design should be in order to wrap around though, since every pumpkin has a different circumference.
I did this once, don't know where I got the pattern. But it was a collection of 5 patterns. So if only 3 fit on your pumpkin, you use 3, can you use 4, use 4, etc...
By matspud
These can look great and over the yars PM has done several inc "if Tiffany had used a pumpkins" and "Haunted Carousel" I think and ones like "blustery Day" can be carved all the way round. They did bring out a Centrepiece patterns kit a couple of years ago but it relied mainly on intricate coloured glue patterns on the outside of a 'kin not really carved through , if I remember correctly.
By SaneInsideInsanity
i think this is a wonderful idea! I have shaded a kin the who way around with a chinese dragon but have never put the pattern the whole way around
By sloaner
I have never see one carved all around. If Ryan makes one I'm sure to try it.
By stormqueen29
I wanted that haunted Carousel so badly! No one has it anymore. :cry:

I'd love to see Ryan do a wrap around pattern. I personally think a graveyard type scene would be fantastic for this. It would also make shortening or lengthening the pattern to fit a little easier.

Gale
By Drayco
zombiepumpkins wrote:If anyone has any pics of this style of design done, post some reference and maybe it will inspire me!
Here are a few wrap around carvings. Unfortunately they didn't put any type of paper in the pumpkin to stop you from seeing through it.

Centerpiece

If Tiffany Had Used A Pumpkin

Chinese Dragon

Another cool thing about this type of pattern is if you put it close to a wall it will project (shadow cast) the back of the carving onto the wall.

Are you inspired yet Patch Master? :wink:
By SaneInsideInsanity
:O pretty i also like the grave yard idea but enjoy the refernce materials as well