Request a pumpkin pattern or critique the current collection.
By Ajax
Should I save a Kin or go all in?
By Lala
Sigh. I only carved one this year and it was a pattern from 2008. I still paid for monster harvest for charity and I'm not mad but there used to be so many more. There have been none this year I wanted to carve and that just made me so sad. :oops:
matspud liked this
By Ajax
Lala wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:33 pm
Sigh. I only carved one this year and it was a pattern from 2008. I still paid for monster harvest for charity and I'm not mad but there used to be so many more. There have been none this year I wanted to carve and that just made me so sad.  :oops:
Really I feel like there was a good variety. I think the only place the site really fell short was on it's batman related material. Only 5 common Ryan what are batman fans suppose to do with there other 20 pumpkins?
By Lala
I was hoping for some more Walking Dead ones such as Michonne, Glen and Maggie. I need a Princess Poppy. I'm not Into superheroes. I love the unique creations as well. It's all good. There are ones that I want to put on foamies from the past just none from this year.
By sloaner
Lala wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:33 pm
Sigh. I only carved one this year and it was a pattern from 2008. I still paid for monster harvest for charity and I'm not mad but there used to be so many more. There have been none this year I wanted to carve and that just made me so sad.  :oops:
It's funny cuz I was thinking this was the best year yet. There are a few I've been waiting for and I had a few from past years I needed to catch up on. But Pennywise and Predator were my favorites.
By Ajax
I'd love to see the walking dead feel like it's a tradition at this point. For some reason I feel like we are going to get the 4 stranger thing kids. The Halloween episode was so good. Would still love voltron or michonne.
By matspud
I think a number of us old-timers agree with Halloweenbride re the MH situation. I understand why Ryan went in the direction he has but it has adversely affected those of us who have paid MH for ages. I loved the old way........ it was a bit of fun and we got more new patterns. Offering 30 VIPs is fine if you haven't got them all already. The new setup is great for the first year someone pays MH but not so appealing thereafter. I still get it though - some of it's for charity and the rest supports one of my favourite sites.
Re this years crop , few I really want to carve ( worry wart, night king, pennywise and possibly magic mirror) although several I am happy to see appear especially Predator. I would love more unique creations e.g. a halloween scene. I like UCs best. :witch: :witch:
Disappointed in the classic jack face this year....................... doesn't look at all like the ZP jacks we all love. :?
By monstermash
I'd have to agree with matspud and Lala. The new VIP system doesn't work very well for the "oldies" that already have the majority of patterns. For us, there were only 3 VIPs this year. The draw to spend the extra money isn't there like it was when you got a great lucky dip selection of 9 or 10 or so patterns. For me it's not so much about not liking a genre or group of patterns. I don't watch the Walking Dead or any Batman related TV or films but that wouldn't be the reason I wouldn't pay for Monster Harvest. You can't please everyone and there's always going to be a year that doesn't fit your tastes as well as others. I like a good mix of halloween related patterns and always, always look forward to the Unique Creations and the sometimes cult and bizarre from the Bonus VIP section. That changing the past couple of years has made it harder for me to justify the money for the MH.
Zombie Pumpkins is still the best site out there for patterns in my opinion. I'll always try to support Ryan and his fantastic art style in anyway I can. Maybe you were too good to us before Ryan!?  :witch:  :)=

Just a side note, I am really sorry that my only post this year is a bit of a moan about changes to the old way of doing things. I am still here in the shadows and loving everything my fellow minions are creating.  :love:
By shaft28
Yeah, I automatically went for MH as I always do not realizing the change (my fault). I didn't carve any of the VIP patterns for 2017 and was a little disappointed like others the MH VIP were just 3 for us who buy it on the regular. It's fine but not a price performer for those of us who have always bought the whole shebang every year.
By mesmark
I didn't carve a ZP pumpkin for the first time in 14 years. I actually only carved 2-3 simple smiling jacks into some rotting pumpkins just to make something of them. My daughters carved mermaid, Jack Skellington and pumpkin mask. None of those new for 2017. And, I didn't even take proper pictures. I just snapped a couple iPad shots.

I have 3 pumpkins left. If they last to Thanksgiving, I'll try to do something with them.

Honestly, I don't watch TV, no NetFlix, etc. Add to that, that I have lived in Japan for 18 years now and so most of the US related pop culture is a bit lost on me. That means a lot of the recent patterns don't hold any special value to me, but many times what Ryan comes up with still looks cool, even if you don't know what it is - Night King, the Penguin, Withered Walker, Eleven, Silver Shamrock group, Burnt Walker, Nemesis ...

The forums have died a bit. That definitely can be blamed on social media. Keeping up any forum is hard work these days. I do think Ryan hasn't been as present on the forums as in the past and I feel that probably has something to do with the forum slow down. I think people want to show Ryan what they did and hear from him. However, as a nod in his direction, his past efforts on here really made this place the great Halloween hangout it is. I think there were some personal issues in the last couple years that kept him away a bit and busy. I don't have any inside info, it's just what I gleamed from conversations.

On the Monster Harvest front, I can see how the long time users feel a bit slighted. The deal back then was 10 secret patterns for that year and then they were gone forever (maybe?). So, it was a real draw to pay at that time and get those limited edition patterns. Having them show up later is what it is. They were some pretty awesome patterns and I understand that never publishing them again is a bit of a waste as well. Plus people who found/find the site later are probably more motivated to join if they can get those 20 extra patterns.

I usually get my monster harvest membership in September and I have actually signed up more than once in a year, because I get much more than my $20 worth of Halloween out of this joint - that's a pat on the back to all of the fellow minions as well as Ryan. That was a personal choice (spending more than $20) and everyone absolutely has the right to question Ryan as a customer on this site. There do seem to be less patterns per year from a long term user stand point. And each person needs to look at that, I guess. In the end, this is a business and if you are not happy, Ryan needs to know that.

This year I signed up on October 20th. The forum being down and all, I just wasn't that in to it. Plus, I've been more into" party" than pumpkins in the last few years. I'm also getting older and carving 2-3 pumpkins after spending 3-4 hours on decorations isn't as tempting as a beer and my comfy chair ... It might just be the getting older part. :P

But, life rolls on, things happen. There was a period when the forum got a little dark and I didn't really want to participate anymore. Then, it turned around and hit an even higher note. Some of the patterns have really missed me recently, but there are certainly winners as well. This place is a big part of my life, not just Halloween. I spend months of the year on here and I have made some great friends in the process. I don't doubt Ryan's dedication to place for a second. So, I'm still here. I'll be here through the winter. I'll be here next year and I'm looking forward to Halloweening with you all for years to come.
Last edited by mesmark on Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
matspud, Ajax, Pumpkinfreak liked this
By matspud
mesmark wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:38 am
On the Monster Harvest front, I can see how the long time users feel a bit slighted. The deal back then was 10 secret patterns for that year and then they were gone forever (maybe?). So, it was a real draw to pay at that time and get those limited edition patterns. Having them show up later is what it is. They were some pretty awesome patterns and I understand that never publishing them again is a bit of a waste as well. Plus people who found/find the site later are probably more motivated to join if they can get those 20 extra patterns.

I usually get my monster harvest membership in September and I have actually signed up more than once in a year, because I get much more than my $20 worth of Halloween out of this joint - that's a pat on the back to all of the fellow minions as well as Ryan. That was a personal choice (spending more than $20) and everyone absolutely has the right to question Ryan as a customer on this site. There do seem to be less patterns per year from a long term user stand point. And each person needs to look at that, I guess. In the end, this is a business and if you are not happy, Ryan needs to know that.
All good points Mark. I too have , in the past, ended up signing up twice in one year LOL. I have ,and probably will, always pay for MH membership. There is more to it than VIP patterns. However some of the fun of it has gone for me. I will always support this site as much as possible as it has become as much a part of Halloween for me as sweets (candy) and guising (trick or treating). I couldn't believe how much I missed the chatter on the forum, especially in the run up to Halloween.
Thanks Ryan. Halloween wouldn't be the same without you.
By Ajax
I didn't sign up for it this year due to a lot of money going out to some home renovations, I'm finishing part of my basement as a playroom for my 2 and 3 year old. I can't say carving the Predator doesn't kill me inside but I hope he is still avaliable next year. :cry: . I am very happy with the selections avaliable this season. I carved most of them. I I like a versatile display every season and Ryan usually covers that.

I have two fairly large pumpkins leftover and I hope to carve a Krampus soon and watch the movie again as its one of my favs. The other will probably rought. I really hope we get Bruce Willis Die Hard this year as I have kept a small white foamie for many seasons in anticipation.

I agree that Ryan has mostly moved on from the forum to twitter and in instagram which I do check on but am not a part of. Can't really blame him the forum audience is probably a small % of his customer base 5-10%. Just us die hards still left sad to say. I was actually surprised to see it return at all, but am happy it did.