Reviews of specific carving products by those who've used them.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I personally prefer the "traditional" sort of pumpkin carving, where you cut out the openings of the design. That is what my pumpkin patterns are designed for.

So while these gouges are not a must-have for the general pumpkin carver, they do a great job for those who want to scrape away the outer later of pumpkin skin. The scraping is often done at various depths, to create a shaded effect.

But they can be used on "cut-through" patterns like those available on Zombie Pumpkins as well. Rather than do multiple levels of depth, you'd simply scrape away all the areas of the pattern at one equal depth.

This carving technique won't let out as much light as cutting holes all the way through of course. But it has certain useful applications, such as if you were displaying a carved pumpkin in daylight or a brightly lit room (the under-flesh of the pumpkin is lighter than the darker skin you'd be scraping away, so the design is legible).

Pumpkins done with the scrap-away style also last longer before shriveling up, since you're not weakening the structural surface of the pumpkin.

These tools are manufactured by Warren Cutlery (the same company that makes the components of the Pro Carving Tool saw set I sell). Intended for wood sculpting, the laminated steel tips of these gouges are razor sharp and quite strong. If used only on pumpkin and melons, I doubt they would ever dull.

Woodworking gouges are made is many sizes (widths measured in mm, curve measured by a "sweep" number). A professional woodworker may have a massive range of sizes. But to keep the set affordable, I tested many sizes and tried to limit myself to using just 4.

The sizes chosen are just about all you need to scrape away a Zombie Pumpkins pattern. The v-tool has a sharp angle, which is good for creating crisp edge lines. The other 3 gouges are sized progressively larger. Depending on the area of design you're working on, you can pick the smaller one for details, or the widest for removing larger areas of pumpkin skin.

By monstermash
I have a similar arsenal of tools for scraping. Like you said Ryan scraping away rather than cutting right through slows the shrivelling process. thats the reason i do it as i like my kins to last until Guy Fawkes night (5th of nov). If you can keep a very very thin pumpkin wall it keeps them from drying out as quick but you still get lots of light shining through so its the best of both worldd reallly.
By Tkaraoke
Hey Ryan,

How would you compare these to a Speedball set?
By nosferatu
I think I'll leave the shading to those with steadier hands and more patient temperaments. The last thing any pumpkin needs is to be gouged in a fit of rage.

I find the Pro Carving Tool fantastic and ideal for use. It is perfect for my skill level and the interchangeable blades has meant that last year I could carve more pumpkins in a shorter period of time. Previously I had just used craft knives and pumpkin carving kits which do a grand job but I love the clean lines the PCT provides and gives the finished pumpkins a better quality finish.
By Tkaraoke
nosferatu wrote:I think I'll leave the shading to those with steadier hands and more patient temperaments. The last thing any pumpkin needs is to be gouged in a fit of rage.
Actually, it really is a lot easier than it looks. Heck, if I can do it (tried it for the first time last year) I think anybody can. Yes, you do need a little more patients but the pay off is stunning.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Tkaraoke wrote:How would you compare these to a Speedball set?
Certainly the same concept as the Speedball Linoleum Cutter sets, which I've used several times with perfectly adequate results. But I became hooked on these woodworking gouges the first time I tried them, because in comparison, they glided through the pumpkin flesh with almost no resistance.

I suppose the difference is that the Speedball sets are primarily for printmaking materials such as linoleum, whereas these pro gouges are meant to dig through all manner of wood. They literally are razor sharp (not for the kiddies) and designed to hold their edge.

If you like the traditional cut through method, the Pro Carving Tool is your go-to item. If you're a casual scraper and like the performance of the Speedball kits, that's likely all you'll need. But if you wanted to try something a little more robust and worthy of having "pro" in the name, these gouges are the nicest I've used so far.
By nosferatu
I always think "pro" route is always best followed........with the notable exception of women.
By Tkaraoke
zombiepumpkins wrote:if you wanted to try something a little more robust and worthy of having "pro" in the name, these gouges are the nicest I've used so far.
I've been thinking about buying a wood carving set this year. This gives me something to really think about. Thanks for adding this kind of product to the store.

Oh! Almost forgot...

How exactly do you hold these tools while carving? Do you pretty much hold them like you would a Speedball set with your thumb applying pressure on the tip?
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Tkaraoke wrote:How exactly do you hold these tools while carving? Do you pretty much hold them like you would a Speedball set with your thumb applying pressure on the tip?
Exactly. Handle in your palm, thumb near the tip to apply the appropriate downward pressure.
By nosferatu
:o
By GUS
nosferatu wrote:I always think "pro" route is always best followed........with the notable exception of women.
I don't know Nos, I've had some blooming good nights out with off duty hookers! (in my distant youth)
By Tkaraoke
I got my set the other day and I can't believe how well made these things are. I'm really REALLY happy with them and can hardly wait to try them out. I love the little soft plastic caps on the ends of them as well. When Ryan says "Pro" he means it!
:D
By punchi
i noticed that these aren't in the shop anymore. are they going to be available this season?