Get control of your plans for digital diversions from the virtual realms.
By S.A.M

The new survival horror game by video games greatest horror director Shinji Mikami, creator of the Resident Evil franchise.
The game's being developed by Mikami's own studio Tango Gameworks, in co-operation with Bethesda Softworks.

The game will be out on PC, 360, PS3, PS4 & Xbox One and will be launching October 14th (US) and October 17th (EU), just in time for Halloween. Perfect timing!

WARNING: Graphic content

Here is a trailer:

A gameplay trailer:

Here is an extended gameplay trailer:

Just watching that makes me nervous never mind playing it :frank:

Gruesome screenshot:
The Evil Within is perfectly paced, oscillating between nail-biting chase scenes and giant horrific spectacle, such as when Castellanos wanders outside the hospital to find that its grounds suhave become an island cut adrift from the rest of the world. The game also makes a lot of mileage out of building up razor-sharp tension, reducing the soundtrack to footfalls and creaking doors and then having horrific monsters amble into view as though this is the natural state of things.

Throughout, it feels like the protagonist is at risk and riding their luck in the face of imminent slaughter. Couple that with reduced resources, a soundtrack worthy of the best extreme horror entertainment and a story that's as intriguing as it is horrifying and you are looking at the return of genuine survival horror on the next generation of consoles.
It looks like true survival horror is back and with a unhealthy does of psychological terror. A lot of people are saying it looks like the Resident Evil 5 that never was and they're not wrong, it does look a lot like Resi Evil 4. That's not a bad thing.
For me horror games can be worse than horror movies for their scares, with the game you're in control it's your choice if you're going to explore the basement and it might be the wrong one, it's your choice to find out what's behind the closed door and honestly I can see myself quitting out of this game many times :lol:

But I still can't wait to play it, nothing quite beats a good scare, especially at Halloween :D
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I had heard the game's name floating around, but didn't know much about it. So thanks for posting the details, the videos, and your opinions, S.A.M! Very helpful. I just added it to my wishlist.

I've always liked survival horror. I remember getting spooked by the earlier Resident Evil and Silent Hill games. I love the claustrophobic experience, where you feel choked by the darkness, and a soundtrack that really plays with silence and sound effects. You never know what might lurk around the next corner or what might leap through that closed door. :pale:
By SuperSonic
I saw a video on this yesterday, and it seems interesting. The only survival horror games I have played are AvP and Colonial Marines. So I have limited exposure on this subject. I think I'll try a friends copy of it (if any of mine do) and see if I want to then purchase it myself. If not I guess I can just dive in, or buy it used.

However it has garnered my interest since I saw it in the pre-order section on the Best Buy website. :thumbsup:
By S.A.M
I got a pre-order in at GameSeek, hopefully it'll be here tomorrow, I can't wait!

Videogamer.com have reviewed it http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/the_e ... eview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From the word go the game is about survival in its basest form: there's a lot of action, but none of it is macho or glorious, and most of it is in the service of getting the **** out of town. Your foes - whose tactics are essentially the same as the ganados in Resi 4 - work perfectly in these dreamscape worlds: they just keep coming.

*snip*

At times it feels like a Mikami megamix: it has the village with the chainsaw-wielding dude, another mansion, etc. But Mikami does this so well it's difficult to get annoyed. It's not unusual for directors in either film or games to recall past glories, and few do it better than Mikami. Even though this isn't his best, The Evil Within has enough magic to make it a worthy investment.
They gave it a score of 8/10 By the sounds of it it's not without it's faults but there isn't anything game breaking here, I'm really going to enjoy getting in to this over the Halloween season. It sounds a bit like more of Resi 4 and that's one of my favourite games of all time.

I hope the postman is early tomorrow :lol:
By S.A.M
Well I've got a few chapters under my belt and whilst I do love it I can see why some people won't like it, it does feel like you're fighting the controls some times and the borders are stupidly large, less to do with artistic style and more to do with having to process less pixels :roll: It gives the game quite a restrictive view, which does add to the tension but it can feel quite frustrating not being able to see enough of what's going on.

On a technical level there isn't much next gen going here, you can tell it's firmly rooted in the last gen of consoles. Despite that you can feel it really pushing the PS4 as the game starts to chug, I'm gonna put that down to sloppy game code; it feels like everything works BUT only just.

So what do I love about it? I love the settings, these deep dark murky villages lit by only flaming torches and bonfires as the mist/smoke constantly rolls in and out past the flames. Bodies hanging from the rafters of buildings & bridges, all adding to the unsettling atmosphere. The enemies are killer, it's quite a rush being stalked by one but luring it in to a trap to meet it's demise and when things get more action based the headshots pulled off by the revolver or shotgun feel really satisfying in a video game way, if you know what I mean.

It has the same art and style of Resi 4 but it lacks the polish, finesse and controls. I'm enjoying it though I'm looking forward to finishing the story and getting all the trophies. I didn't pay full price for it, I paid £35 and I think I'm getting my moneys worth, however I'm not sure I could recommend anyone buy it at full price on PS4/Xbox One, especially so if you're not a fan of these types of games. If you loved Resi 4 though I think you're going to really enjoy The Evil Within, hop in when the price is right :)