Tomes from the tomb, recommend reading for you cultured creatures.
By Batgirl
I am ready for an amazingly scary read. What is the scariest book you've ever read? I mean a scared-to-be-alone/don't-wanna-read-it-late-at-night/stays-with-you-long-after kinda book...

Whatcha got??
By Ajax
Honestly, amity ville horror freaked me out pretty good. Haunted houses freak me out especially ones with any remotely factual events.

I remember being frightened by Christine as well.
By Raven
The first thing that popped into my head was also The Amityville Horror. I read it when I was in the 7th or 8th grade and I remember never being so terrified before. It literally kept me awake nights on end, but would I stop reading it? Of course not. While I don't believe the haunting happened, it was still so much more scary thinking that it could be true. The book is much more scary than the movie. For one when reading a book you are able to imagine all sorts of terrifying things instead of watching sometimes silly special effects in the movie.

I might go ahead and read this one again since it's been many years.
By vibhandaka
So far, the book that has scared me the most is "IT" by Stephen King. It's much scarier than the movie, because "IT" can really take any form, not just Pennywise the clown as shown in the movie. I remember reading it and actually having chills.
By amandap80
Pet Semetary, for sure. I needed to put it in the freezer like Joey.
By Raven
vibhandaka wrote:So far, the book that has scared me the most is "IT" by Stephen King. It's much scarier than the movie, because "IT" can really take any form, not just Pennywise the clown as shown in the movie. I remember reading it and actually having chills.
I was a lot younger when I read IT as well and there is a part where the girl either hears or sees something coming from the drain in the bathroom. I can't remember which it was now, but I think she heard her name being called or something. I was so terrified after reading that part I dreaded going into the bathroom for a long time after. If I had to go in there I would stare at the drain, just waiting to hear something. :(
By chuckwagon
i hate to make another Stephen King suggestion, but "The Shining" is without a doubt the most incredibly terrifying book i have ever read. Do not mistake the movie for the book, because it was not an extremely accurate adaptation, and even Stephen King himself has said that he didn't like the movie because of that fact.
By Raven
chuckwagon wrote:i hate to make another Stephen King suggestion, but "The Shining" is without a doubt the most incredibly terrifying book i have ever read. Do not mistake the movie for the book, because it was not an extremely accurate adaptation, and even Stephen King himself has said that he didn't like the movie because of that fact.

The 1997 movie version followed the book a lot closer, but wasn't as good as the book or as Kubrick's movie version.

After re-reading this thread last night I decided I wanted to read The Amityville Horror again. Sadly, it's not available for Kindle. :(
By chuckwagon
I did love Kubrik's movie, but having read the book, I try to make a distinct separation between the two. I really liked it as a thrilling and suspenseful flick, but as a book adaptation, it was lackluster IMO... Honestly I have never seen the '97 version, so since you mentioned it I'm gonna have to check it out :wink:
By b2b
vibhandaka wrote:So far, the book that has scared me the most is "IT" by Stephen King. It's much scarier than the movie, because "IT" can really take any form, not just Pennywise the clown as shown in the movie. I remember reading it and actually having chills.

One of the few books I had to put down and stop reading, and I was only to the part about the abusive husband's rationalization on beating his wife. Of course, this probably has to do with my sibling's abusive spouse past situation. Sometimes Stephen King seems to understand the nature of evil a bit too well. I'm hoping it is through a lot of research.