Tomes from the tomb, recommend reading for you cultured creatures.
By SuperSonic
does anyone else here read ANY of his novels i find them quite enticing to read and they are full of things some people would never dream of and if they did it was by fluke :P

i just dont know if anyone else reads his novels
By Raven
I have read quite a few of his novels. My favorite will always be The Stand. Unfortunately I could never get into the Dark Tower series. I just finished reading Duma Key a few weeks ago. Trippy things in that novel.
By SuperSonic
im reading the dark tower as of right now im on the 4th novel and i must concur that Duma Key was a very trippy and gripping novel from start to finsish
By vibhandaka
The only SK I have read is "The Stand", it was amazing. I've just started "Needful Things", but am having some trouble getting into it. Has anyone read "It"? If so, is it good?
By Raven
"It" is very good. One of the few books that scared me enough I was afraid certain parts would come true in my bathroom. I wont say what happens so I don't spoil your read.
By purple1worm
I've read many of his novels. "It" was good but a little long. I liked the green mile and misery too.
By GUS
..if you like those try the wasp factory (different author)
By purple1worm
I'll look it up. Thanks!! Who's the author?
By GUS
Iain Banks / Iain M Banks (dependant upon whether he's writing fiction or science fiction)
This was his 1st book circa 1984, very popular in the uk, nice bloke.
By nosferatu
The Wasp Factory is a very good book. As you say he is more science fiction / fiction. Not horror.

I used to read everything that Stephen King wrote till about 10 years ago when I became slightly disappointed with some of the novels. Maybe it was because I had such high expectations everytime I bent that crisp cover back and smoothed down the first page.

He has written some horror classics but for some reason they never seem to translate to film very well with the notable exception of The Shining. Personally, I think its because his writing triggers the imagination. I remember reading Misery and being truly excited, The Stand, It and Pet Sematary I just couldn't put down till they were finished.

I did like both Cell and Duma Key recently.

Anyway, you have a lot to choose from
By SuperSonic
agreed his older stuff is better than the new but i like both of them since they both have new ideas put forth to the table but i must agree that even though they are good movies there are ALOT of inconsistencies (for example in it stuttering bills hair was supposed to be RED not BLONDE) thats reffering to the movie of IT made in 1990 the year i was born
By Ajax
I read most of Stephen Kings books. My all time favorite was the first book of his I ever read of his The Shining. His older stuff is way better, but some of his newer stuff isn't so bad. I enjoyed Desperation, Dream Catcher and Bag of Bones alot i felt like he matured as an author.

I am for the first time in a long time excited for his new book The Dome. It sounds like the simpson movie but I still love the concept. I am reading Ghost Story right now by Peter Straub which is one of Stephen Kings favorite books. Also if you like king check out Richard Matheson he is awesome. He inspired king to become a writer and his influence is obvious. Don't just read I am Legend either. Hell house, Stir of echoes, What Dreams may come are all great books.
By vibhandaka
I gave up on "Needful Things", just couldn't get into it. I DID just get done reading "Misery" and it was very good. So much more grotesque than the movie. And I started reading "Pet Semetary" just last night. I really want to read "It" since I've heard it's SO much better than the movie. I also want to read "The Shining".

Ajax, I will definitely put your suggestions on my "to read" list.
By SaneInsideInsanity
Green Mile and Misery are my 2 favs by him everyone should do themselves a favor and stay away from the bleachers...it just was...ug....at least to me. Haven't gotten into the dark tower yet though i have debated reading it. I've always had too many things to read to start the series which is also the same reason i have not read twilight.
By Wile E. Coyote
I have read almost all of Stephen Kings books and enjoy his early stuff much better. Though I must say his last couple of books have been better than I expected.

It is one of my favorites. The Stand and his short story collections (Different Seasons, Night Shift & The Bachman Books) are really good too.