Anthems or ambiance, these are the tones that rattle your bones.
By chuckwagon
I've recently developed a fascination with this band. At first I was a little stand-offish because I typically like my metal hard and heavy, but with the introduction of Papa Emeritus III, and his very personable demeanor with fans, I have really begun to like the band as a whole. Also, with their most recent release of Meliora, I feel that they have really showcased their musical talents. Couple that with the imagery, and subject matter, this is most definitely a very good band! I'm hoping to see them at Carolina Rebellion, but not sure I'll be able to go.
By chuckwagon
LOL, I actually commented on that thread before I really started getting into them. Don't know why I didn't link that myself... I was aware of Ghost, and had much love and respect for them, but couldn't quite get into the music at the time... Papa III really changed that for me when I watched a bunch of videos and began to get a realy good idea of his amazing personality, and the subsequent grammy win really helped open my mind. Hate to sound like a bandwagon fan, but I'm really into them now. The first time I heard "He Is" I was absolutely down with Ghost from that moment on.
By Zee
pagemaster1993 wrote:
It seems that we are still in need of a Papa pattern.

I too am a fan of their newest album (Meloria). I say personally that is the best so far.
Yes and YES! They had me at dancing nuns.
By ghostface
I fell in love with Ghost earlier this year. I'm dying to go see them in concert at some point.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Glad to hear that you've opened up to Ghost, chuckwagon! I agree with everything you said. It's cool to see them getting more recognition lately, even winning the Grammy for Best Metal Performance.

Their image is was what initially caught my eye. Any theatrical band with masks and a skeletal faced singer is going to make me do a double take. But what kept me around was their musical talent and demeanor. While the lyrics sing of Satan and world doom, there's a vibe of positivity, if that makes sense. Their theme is sort of tongue-in-cheek, but they play it totally straight and never break character.

And despite the seemingly scary looks, they love their fans and seem like good guys. When I saw them in concert, there was plenty of crowd interaction. And Papa Emeritus III even said he was afraid to swear because his mother was in the audience (at which point we all cheered for Papa's mama).

Their music has a unique sound and has become even more rich and polished on their latest album. It's melodic and accessible metal, with a bit of Latin chanting thrown in for good measure. If you have a chance to attend one of their live "rituals" I suggest you take it. It's a fun time, while also feeling like a legitimate spiritual event.

I saw them in September 2015. I posted some of these elsewhere previously, but here are a few of my photos and video clips of the show:

By Beast75
I liked ghost since opus eponymous and saw them for the second time on their last stop in the U.K. I like my music real heavy but I'm appalled by the state of the "new breed" of metal so ghost were a breath of fresh air personally. Meliora was a great album and square hammer from the popestar EP was a catchy beast. Most important was they looked like they were enjoying themselves on stage.

So Ryan about that Papa pattern ???? :D
By Beast75
Did everyone see the footage of the end of Papa III ? I hope they don’t make Papa IV too chart friendly but I’m excited to hear the next album.
By pagemaster1993
I think it's a nice change. I can't wait to see what they have in store for us.
By Beast75
Not sure when they are having their own UK tour but I’ve just got Metallica tickets for next year and Ghost are supporting 👍🏻👍🏻
By chuckwagon
I like Cardinal Copia just fine, but I kinda wish they'd have kept the Papa lineage going. I know that at the end of the day its all just a different mask for Tobias, but admittedly the different faces do seem to have different personalities. I'm liking the newest album pretty well. The music, itself, is absolutely fantastic regardless of how "metal" it sounds or not. I've got tickets to 2 Metallica shows coming up in the states, and I'm so pissed that we're not getting Ghost on this portion of the tour, HOWEVER I am seeing them in December here in Charlotte, NC so I'm stoked!
By Beast75
I saw Ghost this year supporting Metallica they were great. Im looking forward to seeing them in November in their first arena shows in the uk with all the new stage setup should be great. Must admit though Cardinals appearence isnt as good as any of the Papas.