Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Flak
How does everyone handle the finer details? I can't even attempt the more intricate patterns because sections will get too small and narrow and I'll start snapping things off.

I try to saw straight up and down but that always proves a challenge. Also I don't think carving up stringy pumpkins works too well either.
By Joey
I try to be gentle. Carving at an angle so that you don't have to go in again later and clean up is good. I've also found that you should try and angle the blade so that it cuts corners cleanly and lets you get the pieces out without snagging anything. And if an area is just too fragile, I'll just shade it instead of cutting it through.
By Kittie
Make sure you scrape the inside of your pumpkin to an 1 inch thick. It makes it easier to carve and makes it easier to push the saws straight in.
By Kittie
Another thing, I know you bought a pumpkin master powersaw, I ONLY use that on Straight and long slightly curved lines. Other then that, saw it by hand.
By Kerrykinz
also, cut out the little pieces first, like teeth, eyes, etc, that way when you carve around them later, nothing snaps.
By Flak
Kittie wrote:Make sure you scrape the inside of your pumpkin to an 1 inch thick. It makes it easier to carve and makes it easier to push the saws straight in.
Is there a good method to tell when I've got it down to an inch? I can never seem to scrape thin enough.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
To scrape down to an inch thick, I first do a preliminary de-gutting and scraping of my pumpkin. Then I transfer the pattern onto the face of the pumpkin.

Once that is done, I know where my design will be cut out, so I know exactly where to do additional thinning. I'll give the inside wall some good scraping right behind the transferred design, with the nice flat edge of the Pumpkin Masters scoop.

When I think I've got it thin enough, I'll stick one of the carving saws (a toothpick would also work) through an area of the design that I know will be a cut out hole (you don't want these depth test holes to show in your final design, of course).

Push the saw through until you see or feel it come through the inside. Pinch the saw on the outside, right against the surface of the pumpkin, and pull it out. How far did the saw go in? About an inch? Good!
Last edited by Zombie Pumpkins! on Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Kittie
Ryan said it all! That is exactly how I do it. :)