Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By MistyCate
Hi Everyone! my first post: :D

I had a similar question:
I have been creating my own patterns or using zombie patterns for years, but I have found myself a bit short on time this year. I thought about gutting and scraping my 5 large pumpkins tonight (Oct. 29) and carving them tomorrow (I already have the patterns transferred with those cool Saral sheets.... Is two days too soon to gut? Its fairly cool here in Northern California. Clear today rain on Sat. Clear on Halloween and I will have to leave them outside... any thoughts?

-Misty :)
By cuvers
next year please no poking it is horrible. transfering is so much better!! and you can do it way in advance, even if you carve in advance just get a spray bottle, once it is done spray it down really well in the carved area, then just stick a piece of plastic wrap over the carving make sure it is long enough to cover the front of your kin and over the hole in the top then just put the lid back on. this holds the moisture in and keeps them fresh as a daisy until you need to put em out on halloween
By IndyandMarion
Hottie McNaughty wrote:Poking sucks. So much easier to trace.
So true. Until a few days ago, I was using the poke and hope way. Then I finally tracked down Saral paper. I've learned so much in just one night from trying that stuff.

I'll second the comment: Poking sucks.
By suzika
My sister, my husband and my sister's fiance all poked, as I had limited saral paper (in fact I had to poke some.) Next year I will have multiple boxes of the transfer paper waiting.
By GUS
This is why I bought 3 boxes, almost apologetic for buying so many now, I wish to be ready in future & not skimp on it.

Ryan, how much of an increase year on year (3rd season stocking saral)? have you noticed?
By Zombie Pumpkins!
GUS wrote:Ryan, how much of an increase year on year (3rd season stocking saral)? have you noticed?
I think this was my second year stocking Saral Transfer paper. Last year sales started slowly, as people got used to the idea (here on ZP at least). This year sales were high from the start, I guess people who tried it in the past are now hooked on the stuff. I started the season by stocking slightly more than I had sold the year before, and by mid-October I was just about sold out of it. Seem to be a hit!
By Ajax
I only used about a roll and a quarter and between me and my family we probably did 40 pumpkins the stuff seems to last forever. It can be reused two or three times.