Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By circuitousroute
Hi Everyone,

How would I use Saral transfer paper to replace the hole poking process I'd ordinarily have to do to get my stencil onto the pumpkin? I'm not accustomed to doing crafts and have only dabbled in pumpkin carving, so the concept of using transfer paper doesn't click for me. Can anyone shed some light?

Best,
circuitousroute
By badgers
here's how I've done it. after I cut out my pattern to fit the pumpkin, I cut a piece of transfer paper roughly the same size as the pattern. Put the transfer paper on the pumpkin, put your pattern on top of that (tape them dowm securely), then using a pen trace all the lines of the pattern. When done remove patten and transfer paper and you should have your design on the pumpkin.
save your pattern incase some lines didn't fully transfer and fill them in. Make sure you put the proper side of the transfer paper down on the pumpkin, so the pattern transfers properly.
Last edited by badgers on Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By GUS
Ryan this serves to illustrate you need to get those tutorials up....
By Chewy
The other option is to buy full sheet size printable self adhesive labels, print pattern on them, stick them on pumpkin and carve right through them.

I tried saral last year & when i started to run low, tried the label technique - suffice to say i'm not going to be spending any effort at all trying to get anymore saral paper....

my two big tricks to success with labels - be sure your kin is DRY. I let them warm up & air dry thoroughly after cleaning before labelling. And, once carved, i let them soak for a while in the sink before i strip the label remnants off (usually for as long as it takes for the next carve). your mileage may vary & im sure there are lots of carvers with other preferences / tricks for both techniques.
By CombichristGirl
not sure how well it will work for shading patterns for me yet but... i freaking love it for cut outs! i am so mad i didnt get any before now:(. i used it on a funkin yesterday and it was ...wow i am truly impressed i cant wait to try it on the real thing :)