Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By blackjays24
So I pretty much need to totally retool my approach to pumpkin carving. Here is my questions

A) What are the best tools to use for easy, smooth and detailed carvings
B) What is the best approach to getting a stensil to be on the pumpkin to carve the design
C) How big of a pumpkin, or how round or flat should the surface be?

I want to carve the Crypt Keeper into a pumpkin this halloween but I find I can't do detailed carvings because it is just too hard to make the cut. Please help!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
blackjays24, you've come to the right place. :D

A) What are the best tools to use for easy, smooth and detailed carvings?

Well, I may be biased, but I'm a fan of the Zombie Pumpkins Pro Pumpkin Carving Tool. Those blades (especially the fine tooth one) should be able to handle the smallest of details smoothly.

At the very least, you could pick up one of those carving kits in the stores around Halloween (usually about $5). They have serrated teeth like mini saws. For carving detailed patterns, a big ol' steak knife just won't cut it (pun intended).

B) What is the best approach to getting a stencil to be on the pumpkin to carve the design?

In my opinion, Saral Transfer Paper can't be beat. Before taping down the paper pattern, first tape the transfer paper to the pumpkin (with the darker side facing toward the pumpkin) and then tape the pattern over that. Like carbon paper, you can transfer the pattern by tracing over the lines with a pencil or ballpoint pen.

C) How big of a pumpkin, or how round or flat should the surface be?

A pumpkin with a clear "front" side that is clean and flat will make your job easier. But there are tricks to make it work, even if your pumpkin surface has some curve to it.

As for size - the pumpkin patterns fit on an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper when printed. That means the design will never be wider than 8" (and not much taller). So that should give you some idea of how much free surface area you'll need on your pumpkin.

If you're still concerned, you could always print out your desired pattern, bring it to the pumpkin patch, and place it over the prospective pumpkins until you find one that seems like a good fit.

:idea: If you have more questions, feel free to ask. Or read all the instructions on in the Terrifying Tips area of the site. Or just browse the past topics that are posted in this Real Pumpkin Carving Tips section of the forum.

I'll be adding more detailed instructions to the tips page in the fall, so watch for that too.
By punchi
Also, the gutting is very important. If you don't get the walls thin enough, even the best tool won't be that great. I recommend the pumpkin gutter; it will get the walls just right. And you'll look like a bad @** using power tools to kill your pumpkin. Just sayin'.
By Dredge
Very nice tips, Ryan. I always have a difficult time picking out my pumpkins.

A round pumpkin is a very difficult task. I often have to enlist Amanda's help with getting my pattern on correctly.
By Hottie McNaughty
I think one of the most important things is to pick the right pumpkin for the pattern that you want to carve. It's a lot easier to carve a tall thin pattern on a 'kin that's tall and thin, etc.

I try to do the more complicated patterns on larger pumpkins so I can enlarge the pattern a little bit.

Gutting the pumpkin is an important part and for a long time I scraped by hand, periodically checking the thickness of the wall. I tend to check a lot as I scrape so I don't accidentally scrape it too thin. Now I use the gutter and drill and it's a lot faster. When I get close to how thin I want it, then I'll finish up by hand.

I use the ZP Pro Carving Tools and also the Saral transfer paper. I tape the pattern to the transfer paper and then tape it to the pumpkin. As I'm applying the pattern to the pumpkin, I cut into and/or fold it so that it fits the curvature of the pumpkin better.

When I'm done carving the pattern I rinse it and then light a candle in it and double check for any little areas that might need some touch up.

Hope that helps!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Hottie, your process is pretty much identical to mine. I knew I liked you for some reason. :)
By Hottie McNaughty
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:Hottie, your process is pretty much identical to mine. I knew I liked you for some reason. :)
Your carves are super clean and something I'm still working on. Maybe one of these days mine will be as neat and detailed as yours!
seeing we do many each year, before i go pumpkin shopping i decide which patterns i am going to carve, the put them on a copier to resize them if needed. then i number them. take them with me and "try em on" different pumpkins til i get the right fit. then i number the pumpkin to match the pattern, so when i get them home i know what goes where. i try to find 1s that will fit the whole pattern as flat as possible.
cuvers wrote:seeing we do many each year, before i go pumpkin shopping i decide which patterns i am going to carve, the put them on a copier to resize them if needed. then i number them. take them with me and "try em on" different pumpkins til i get the right fit. then i number the pumpkin to match the pattern, so when i get them home i know what goes where. i try to find 1s that will fit the whole pattern as flat as possible.

I do the same exact thing at the Pumpkin Farm.

have the pattern in hand, place it on the pumpkins in the bins
until I find the right Match.

Carving at the farm, I don't have the Luxury of resizing the pattern.
on-site. (But I already have all patterns Cropped and printed as large as what will fit on a page)

But I do have the Luxury of picking any pumpkin that it will fit on and not have to pay for the pumpkin. :D

What I do, and I do this for ALL Patterns from ALL Sources.
(including my own)

I will remove, All the extra's on the Pattern, The Mock, the Text, the Logo,
Etc... (The Patterns are only used for my personal Carvings).

So Having the Logo Printed on each Pattern when I'm Printing 100's of them, is a Total waste of Printer Ink. If the Pattern is Cropped, it will Print Larger, So I pre-crop all the patterns after I download them.

For I don't want to have to crop the same patterns each year.
Also When I Print the patterns, to save on Even More Printer Ink.
I Print in DRAFT MODE.

The Pattern is still sharp as a Tack, and Saves Tons of INK.

Here's what the patterns look like sitting on the computer.

I do like to keep the name of the pattern on the print out.
Because I use Sticker Paper for all Cut-Out Patterns.

I'll Cut the name, and place it on a toothpick, and place it on top of the carved kin.
By St0ney
I spent almost all of yesterday Printing Patterns.

Trying to get more organized this year.

So I'm printing off Complete Sites
And When I use/carve a pattern, when I get home that night.
I'll reprint the patterns I used. to keep a Full Set at all times.

(In my mass Printing)
I ran out of full sheet sticker paper.
And have two more categories yet to print from here.

Unique Creations and (last years) VIP Patterns
I printed the categories in Alpha Order.

I just Ordered 500 more sheets, and if you order NOW
You Get FREE SHIPPING

500 cost me $52.50
(100 cost $10.95)

Here's where I buy mine - Click Me

So Ryan it would be SOOO much easier for ME

if ALL your new patterns were
Unique Creations & VIP Patterns - LMAO !!

Ya know just so I don't have to go back to the other Categories.

I just renewed my membership last night, and was happy to know
I was up-to date on all your patterns, Just needed to download this years Gems. I look forward to what you have up your sleeve for the rest of the season.

Well I have to Run, Hurricane Irene gave me about a Inch of water last night down my basement. I know it could be So much worse, but it's still a mess to clean up.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
St0ney wrote:if ALL your new patterns were
Unique Creations & VIP Patterns - LMAO !!
Ya know just so I don't have to go back to the other Categories.
Haha, I'll see what I can do, to help with your organizational needs. :P Sounds like you're working hard to prep for the season. Good luck!
cuvers wrote:seeing we do many each year, before i go pumpkin shopping i decide which patterns i am going to carve, the put them on a copier to resize them if needed. then i number them. take them with me and "try em on" different pumpkins til i get the right fit. then i number the pumpkin to match the pattern, so when i get them home i know what goes where. i try to find 1s that will fit the whole pattern as flat as possible.

My method is verry close to this. The only thing I do different is bring the patterns with me, choose the kin, then number it based on what I think the right kin for the pattern is. Also my kins are at home before I number them.
By GUS
Seeing as we already have a laser copier it's simple for me, so we just pick pumpkins we fancy Then it's many hours of anguish & chest beating ploughing through the files to find what would go well afterwards, the amount of mistakes I make when scaling up etc...I'm glad it's not via a pay per sheet!

I have typically 3 copies of all the patterns so I can simply draw upon one without faffing around.
By St0ney
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote: Sounds like you're working hard to prep for the season. Good luck!

Thanks !

And OMG: I'm already beat - Killing myself.
and It's Aug 31st.

Yesterday I started painting a Shelf I'm making for a farm display.
And to be honest, I really wish I thought of this in the Off Season.
Someone made a post on my board, about building a shelf for display.

And I thought it would be a great way to not only market the patterns,
But help market my custom foam carving as well.

So I jumped on this Idea, Because this has worked really well for other carvers,

So now I have to carve (10) Pumpkins for this display Idea,
I don't have any to toss in it ? I'm at the point, that 100% of the carving I do is for someone else. Either as a Gift, a Sale, or for Charity.

I'm going to try and carve a pumpkin a day, along with keeping up with making patterns for the site, and everything else.

I spent like 2 hours deciding what I should include and some patterns had to be made from scratch, I wanted to use an old Pumpkin Masters pattern for a wedding carve, But I even re-drew that, because the heart was not Heart Shaped - LOL I'm so Anal !!

But after looking at it I think they were shooting for a Pumpkin Shape?

Wait - let me do a quick graphic. I don't carve much PM Stuff
Even though I have 1000's of their patterns.

But this one is Pretty and what I need.

The Date I used is When Lucille Ball & Desi Arnaz got married - LOL

Here's what I'm thinking for the whole Shelf Display.
The other Joke is the Wedding Proposal, Jean is one of the Sisters/Family Members that owns the Farm she's a Married Woman
But is the one that Hires me each year. So I'm asking her to Marry Me.
Hope Wife is okay with it - LMAO !

I just needed a Name for the Pumpkin and thought it would be funny to put her's on it !

Okay I'm off - Have to add a 2nd coat of black paint to the shelf.