Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Nikki
jen d. wrote:I put a concoction of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves on my lids... if you think cinnamon alone is yummy... you're in for a treat. ;)
Oooh... I will have to try this for sure.. I have never used Cinnamon or anything on my pumpkins..so For the pumpkins burning inside this year.. I believe the house will smell good enough to eat!
By pagemaster1993
Wouldn't the cinnamon draw insects too, or by the time it might already be too cold for them. Don't know I saw some bees and mosqiutos(probably not spelled righ) flying around today.
By jen d.
pagemaster1993 wrote:Wouldn't the cinnamon draw insects too, or by the time it might already be too cold for them. Don't know I saw some bees and mosqiutos(probably not spelled righ) flying around today.
I've never really had a problem with insects. As long as you don't use sugared cinnamon, and just the spice itself... I don't foresee a problem. I could be wrong though, who knows... maybe some insects have a soft spot for spices!
By pagemaster1993
jen d. wrote:
pagemaster1993 wrote:Wouldn't the cinnamon draw insects too, or by the time it might already be too cold for them. Don't know I saw some bees and mosqiutos(probably not spelled righ) flying around today.
I've never really had a problem with insects. As long as you don't use sugared cinnamon, and just the spice itself... I don't foresee a problem. I could be wrong though, who knows... maybe some insects have a soft spot for spices!
You might be right I don't know, I thought we were all talking about cinnamon that you buy in the little shaker bottles.
By Nikki
About the insect thing.. one sure fire method for me to ward off insects from my pumpkins..Spiders and such is to place some used/fresh coffee grounds around your pumpkins.. most insects (especially spiders) dislike the coffee grounds... and it also appears to look like 'dirt' to the little trick or treaters! 8)
By Hottie McNaughty
Nikki wrote:About the insect thing.. one sure fire method for me to ward off insects from my pumpkins..Spiders and such is to place some used/fresh coffee grounds around your pumpkins.. most insects (especially spiders) dislike the coffee grounds... and it also appears to look like 'dirt' to the little trick or treaters! 8)
I have a huge spider living inside the storage bench on my porch that's so big I named her. I'm not convinced Helga would be deterred by coffee grounds but I'm going to try it anyway. Thanks for the tip!

Helga:
Last edited by Hottie McNaughty on Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Nikki
Hottie McNaughty wrote:
Nikki wrote:About the insect thing.. one sure fire method for me to ward off insects from my pumpkins..Spiders and such is to place some used/fresh coffee grounds around your pumpkins.. most insects (especially spiders) dislike the coffee grounds... and it also appears to look like 'dirt' to the little trick or treaters! 8)
I have a huge spider living inside the storage bench on my porch that's so big I named her. I'm not convinced Helga would be deterred by coffee grounds but I'm going to try it anyway. Thanks for the tip!
No problemo! It just might work.. that's how I keep the spiders away from my window since my bed is RIGHT under it :) AND... I also love the smell of coffee so it's a win/win situation
By billymaya
Hottie McNaughty wrote:

Helga:
im picturing you running around your porch chasing helga the spider with a tea spoon full of coffee now pmsl ;)
By billymaya
Hottie McNaughty wrote:I'll be sure to get it on video!
lol that would be great thanks might be the next kenco or nescafe halloween advert ;) :D
By billymaya
worked a treat thanks for the tip whole house smelt wondeful just like cookies