Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By adriana
I have 3 pumpkins and I know the only good amount of time i have to dedicate to them is tonight but its pretty early. . Do you think they'll make it? I'm having a party on the 30th that's what I REALLY want them to last through. The 29th I'll be running around like a chicken with my head cutt off finishing stuff for the party AND i work that day, every day before then I have midterms. . ahhh! o not on wednesday but im going to Haunt :) What' s the earliest you've done and they've lasted? I can make room for probably one in the fridge, do you think if i switched them out, every day, took turns would that be worse having them be in the cold then in regular temperature then back in the cold? Help. .
By SaneInsideInsanity
Check in the carving tips for real pumpkins theres some good preserving methods there that will make them last the week, Keeping them cooled once carved is key and if they start getting shrivley give them a bath....
I normally do mine a day ir 2 before but Ive also done them for events ect early and the normally last a week or week and a half....
Also your scedual sounds a bit like mine right now :P
By adriana
yeah i found all kinds of great preservation tips I just wasnt sure how long i could stretch it. Most of the other seemed to start carving around the 29th so i thought i would be pushing it. i carved my foam one today, i dunno when i'll do the real ones but i'll have to make time in the next few days. oh my goodness, if you have midterms and feel like me, i wish you kuck, lol i know i need it. I'm such a stress case!!The halloween party has become a stress now which sucks, its supposed to be fun which it is but it is more to do. . . Thanks for the reply!
By SaneInsideInsanity
No ive been trhough mid terms before though....I'm just reall busy and going on like no sleep between halloween and my 2 jobs. I know i shouldnt complain the patch master is busier at least I can checkthe forums at work now....Ill show you firewalls.....
By Dr. Frybrain
I start caving 3 weeks before Halloween.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I'll probably be carving one on Thursday night, and several more on Friday night.
By monstermash
Im doing mine on thursday and friday for the big night. Getting nervous but excited :)
By cuvers
We're starting wed night this year. I only put my kins out halloween nite, unless i'm 1 trying out for some reason or another, but I'v found if you wanna do it early and save it after you carve it, take a spray bottle of water and spray it down really good then cover the carved area with plastic wrap, and leave it in a cool dark place, garage basement or the fridge if you got room, once they get shrivelly (is tht a word?) just re wet them or soak em in the tub or sink in cold water brings em back good as new so long as they are not rotting.
By Cheef
I only put mine outside for the big day. with a few exceptions. the first one i did this year i carved on Sunday night. but it was more of a tester for my own pattern that i wanted to make sure was carvable. he wont be good for Saturday. I usually carve the day or 2 before Halloween night to assure that all the edges are still sharp and the features good on the kins. doesn't take much shrinkage for them to start to lose the "details"..
By Ajax
Wait till as close as you can get. They only last a couple of days. I would suggest not using a candle in them before the big day because it drys them out and shrinks the pattern somewhat. I did a gill man and frankie last weekend and they were okay for about two nights with lit candle although Gilman was starting to fall apart due to some sloppy carving and it being very detailed.
By Patti
We started carving yesterday (Monday). We carve each pumpkin, put in the candle, sprinkle a little cinnamon on the lid, cover loosely with a plastic bag, then put the carved pumpkin back out on the deck.

Then I consult an oracle, sacrifice a chicken to the weather gods, and hope for the best. The best being cool weather so that we don't get a lot of rot before Halloween.

We put out a good sized display. We'd never get it finished if we didn't start early.