Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By blueikaos
wow.
What on Earth do you do with all those pumpkins?!?!

I carve one maybe two a year!

:(

::Feeling carve deprived::
By sodajazz
blueikaos wrote:...I carve one maybe two a year!
OHhhh part timer :lol: theres too many cool patterns to just carve 1 or 2 :)

St0ney carves tons and tons because he carves at a local orchard, so he gets to show off his talents, teach others and then promote his and the pattern sites.
By Joey
I'm of the theory that St0ney carves so many because he isn't human, he's a pumpkin carving robot!

(But really I'm just jealous because I can only manage about 4-5 on my best day!)
By monstermash
Just thought id say that the spray works like a charm. Im UK and couldn't find the same stuff as stoney but i got Loxley aeosol fixative from a craft shop and it works the same. I scrubbed and scrubbed and it wouldnt come off.
Side note, i use black carbon paper instead of blue as i can still see it clearly but if i miss a bit of the pattern you dont notice it on the skin as much.
By cuvers
thanks for the tip stoney, i just found and used transfer paper this year, and was concerned about how to keep it on real kins once things start getting sloppy, and I do do alot of carvings so i try to put the patterns on ahead of time. before finding the trans paper i always used carbon paper, you have to trace alot harder than with the saral but it stays put for sure, sometimes there is a bit left on there after the fact but nail polish remover takes it off or you can just leave it you can't really see it once your kins are lit up and it's dark out, i have also found tht i get more uses outta carbon paper only like up to 3 kins with saral, and it is pricey.
By St0ney
Okay - I'm changing what I originally Posted.

This Method is not only for those that Carve Many Kins.
Yes it's very very helpful to transfer days, weeks in advance.

But Wanted to Add - that it COULD be used for one carving.

I just transferred American Gothic. and it took 2 hours.
Just to transfer.
How would you like to Spend 2 hours transferring a work like this, and have it smudge.

It's really Detailed Patterns like this,
that the Fixative spray is Priceless. :wink:
By Lithium_joe
I trace over it in marker pen, then wash down with soap and water.

Did I not mention that?
By CorpseBride
You are amazing. I wish I had the time and resources to do something like that! I can't wait to see pics!
By Patti
I got some saral paper and fixative and I can say I really like the technique. We already had quite a few patterns on before we tried it but I can say that we'll most likely be going this route next year.

It saves me anywhere from 5-15 minutes per pumpkin since I don't have to go back and re-ink like I do over the regular carbon paper. When we do over 100 pumpkins that adds up to a lot of time.
By St0ney
Patti wrote:I got some saral paper and fixative and I can say I really like the technique. We already had quite a few patterns on before we tried it but I can say that we'll most likely be going this route next year.

It saves me anywhere from 5-15 minutes per pumpkin since I don't have to go back and re-ink like I do over the regular carbon paper. When we do over 100 pumpkins that adds up to a lot of time.
Patti:

So Glad this is working Out For You.

I think I just had the Ultimate Test.
I transferred Patterns Over 2 Weeks Ago and Left them at the Farm.
(Outside) It has rained like 4 or 5 times and today I carved them and the patterns were all still intact !

And I have Used the Same One Can on like 50 Pumpkins So far.
And I'm guessing it's about 1/2 Empty.

1/2 Full - 1/2 Empty. :?:

I always Looked at that like this.
(It depends on what it Is)

If you have 1/2 a Glass of Cough Medicine - It's Half Full

If you have 1/2 a Glass of Beer - It's Half Empty. - LOL
By Patti
It rained here yesterday too and we did lose the patterns on three of the pumpkins. It looks like it rained so hard that the edge may have lifted and the fixative and transfer peeled off in one sheet.

No big deal though, we'll just draw them back on. We actually live relatively close to each other and I imagine we caught the same storm. It was absolutely coming down in buckets, windy, we had lightning and power outages. Really a fierce storm.

The 10 day calls for some more rain mid-week. We'll just toss a tarp over them at this point. I'm just hoping it stays cool. We've got faces on about 90 so far and will start carving tomorrow. That gives us a little over 5 days to carve about 100 pumpkins.

We'd come up to see yours at the orchard but we'll be too busy trying to get our own finished before Halloween.
By St0ney
OMG !

Saturday was a Heavy Rain - I was on I95 Headed Home
And it was Poring Cows and Buffalo.

Much Larger then Cats and Dogs.

It Was Pounding the roof of my suv.

I Am glad yesterday turned out to be a great day.
Linvilla Was Packed - Thousands and Thousands of People.

I ran out of Cards to give out, And started with 2,000
The whole Farm was Muddy - But the folks did'nt seem to mind.
By Ajax
Anyone know if you can pick up this stuff at micheals or something similar?