Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By GUS
fabulous!, I just need to remember that!
cheers
By cuvers
I just bought and tried some of the transfer paper this summer and it was awesome, used it on foam kin's, for several years I have used carbon paper with great success, but you have to trace over it pretty hard to get a good outline, with the transfer paper barely any pressure at all and it is on there beautifully, and a big plus is it just wipes off with water, carbon paper does not. I have yet to try it on a real kin and am wondering if while carving and things start to get juicy does it clean off your pattern. overall i think it is awesome, i haven't poked a pattern in over 10 years and never would again it is a major pain especially if you are doing alot of real pumpkins with the transfer paper you can get your patterns all on well ahead of time with poking once you compromise a real kin you have to carve it so it doesn't start to rot, i like to have all my patterns on and ready to go a few weeks before we carve. only cons in my opinion is i find it a bit pricey and I only can get like 3 kins done with a sheet
By Lithium_joe
I tried carbon paper last year and was very impressed. from the sounds of it, this saral paper is as good if not better.

So my question is: how much comes in the box? or, if you prefer, a pumpkin: saral box ratio.
By nosferatu
The Saral Paper is 12 feet x 12 inches. It is essentially graphite paper as that too can be used again and again. The really handy thing is that the colour blue will stand out more and it comes on a roll, so there is no messing around with folding sheets etc

All in all, excellent value for money.
By paddy_babe
With the paper, do you just hold it between the pattern and the pumpkin or just you selotape it on?
By Lithium_joe
Personally I'd go for taping it down, otherwise it could shift and the design won't line up right.
By paddy_babe
thanks joe :D
By cuvers
i cut my pattern out almost completely, then i staple the tranfer paper to it then tape it on my pumpkin, then i just carefully remove the paper from the pattern for another usage, as i said i usually only get up to 3 per sheet
By JMP919
What do you use, sharpie, pen, does it matter?
By cuvers
i usually use a ball point pen altho with the transfer paper a pencil would be ok as well, i try to use a fine a point as possible because i have found the sarel paper is so sensitive that if you use something bigger your lines are too thick, to each his own tho I personally prefer the thinest line i can get.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I also use a ballpoint pen when tracing over the pattern with Saral transfer paper.
By Lithium_joe
had a ponder and I'll be organising a shipment soon