Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By GUS
I was in a tizzy last night due to not having found my masking tape, nor my blue low tack temporary tape...
Wife suggested I try 3M* micropore tape on my flakey sitting there for a year foam kin.

Wish i'd tried it years ago! ..superb stuff, just remember to stick it back in your first aid kit afterwards.

..*the things we learn, (sigh)
By IndyandMarion
Boy I hope this Saral Paper is as amazing as you all say it is.

Two Michaels, A Hobby Lobby and two local art shops later: I found Saral Paper. Dang near 20 bucks, but its a last minute decision to try this stuff out. For those that saw my other topic about my plan for the three stencils on one pumpkin, I'm trying that out using the paper. Here's hoping.
By Dadja
Okay, a few tips before you get started:

- transfer one pattern
- carve it, but don't push out the parts
- just use a wet cloth to wipe off residue of the saral paper
- transfer the next one,
- carve it without pushing out the parts...
etc
- when finished push out all parts

I'll help you to keep the strength of the pumpkins without smudging the lines of the saral paper

Good luck!
By IndyandMarion
*George McFly impersonation*

I'm writing this down. This is good stuff.

Trace, carve, trace, carve, trace, carve, punch out. Got it.

Am I able to use the same Saral sheet for all three? Is it recommended?

EDIT: And thanks for the offer to help, but if you're not Stretch Armstrong, how are you gonna help me if you're in Belgium?
By IndyandMarion
OK, thanks. I dunno. May stick to a sheet per stencil then (Since Im doing Sparrow, Barbossa and POTC Jolly Roger or the Black Pearl)
By Kittie
I use the same sheet for aroud 5 - 6 pumpkins
By Hottie McNaughty
I use a fresh sheet for each one. But I save all the cut off bits and pieces and frankenstein them together and will use that for a kin.
By IndyandMarion
Took Sparrow for a test print on the Orange Pearl. The G version of what I want to say goes something like "Empty Night this stuff is pretty dang amazing!"

*Looks at pumpkin*. . . . I might just try four stencils now.
By IndyandMarion
QUESTION: We'll be heading out to a party in the next few hours. I have Sparrow Saralled (?) onto the pumpkin, do I need to take any measures to protect it? We're going to be taking it with us, which means a transport in the floor of the car.
By Hottie McNaughty
IndyandMarion wrote:QUESTION: We'll be heading out to a party in the next few hours. I have Sparrow Saralled (?) onto the pumpkin, do I need to take any measures to protect it? We're going to be taking it with us, which means a transport in the floor of the car.
Spray it with a little hair spray to keep the pattern from rubbing off and try to be as careful with it as possible.
By IndyandMarion
Cool, thanks. Does it matter what kind of hair spray (I have some RAVE somewhere I think from previous years cosplays). It'll be secure in the back seat.

Any other options in case I don't have any hair spray?
By Hottie McNaughty
Aerosol would be better than pump because it's more dry. If you don't have hair spray just set it in the car so that the transferred pattern isn't rubbing on anything. Good luck!
By IndyandMarion
Yeah. Im out of hair spray. Nuts

Would Clorox spray work? Or is that trick only used for the inside of the pumpkin once it's carved?