Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Mister_JP
I never have had good luck with tape, it never seems to stick well enough. I usually use toothpicks to attach the pattern. Just poke through an area that will be carved out and bingo.
By vaderknightrider
As a professional drafter, I have a bunch of drafting dots around (well, not so many anymore). I just used them in place of the scotch tape. It requires a very dry pumpkin, though, but there's no sticky film left over when you remove the pattern.
By Pumpkin King
I use scotch tape and regular old computer paper with the image resized with my scanner to however large or small the pumkin is. The tape works fine for me. The tricker part is applying a two dimesional pattern on a 3 dimensional object. What I have found easiest is the trim away most of the excess paper with no design on it. I lay out the pattern and start taping it down. Where you have spots where the paper won't lie flat I make slits and relign any cuts in the pattern so they line back up. It takes a little skill at first, but once yuou done a few times you get the hang of it. I like the idea of the process of making a sticker of the image to attach to the pumkin, except I would be concerned about getting it to lie flat without tangling if it is an intricate design.
By AKre8tivMind
I use clear packaging tape and cover the entire pattern. This keeps it a little drier while working with it.
By Euri
It's already been said but I love the glue method. I've used it on all of my intricate patterns that I wouldn't dare poke! It works on both fake and real pumpkins. Many times I use an exacto knife to cut away the paper then carve through- especially when I am etching. When I'm finished a wet washcloth for just a minute allows the remaining pattern to just peel off.

Another experienced carver I know swears by transfer paper. NOT the fabric kind, he says it wipes off too easily. But he gets the waxy craft kind. I still have to try it but I like the idea of being able to see exactly what the surface of the pumpkin looks like.

Anyway, I don't think that I will *ever* poke a pattern again.
By angstmama
I trim the pattern down. Then, I brush Elmer's glue on the back with a foam paintbrush, so that the entire pattern is evenly covered. Then, I apply it to the pumpkin and smooth out any air bubbles and curve it to fit. After it dries, I can carve it easily. As the juice comes out of the pumpkin as I carve, it gradually removes the stencil. If there's any glue or pattern left, I wipe the pumpkin down with a damp rag when I'm done.
By arcane_reaper
i have always had trouble taping mine, next year ill have to try all the other ideas on here.
By Tkaraoke
I used the Elmer's stick glue method (minus the tape covering over the pattern) and it worked really well for me. I did have a couple of occasions where the pattern did lift from the pumpkin but they were far and few in-between. I was really surprised how well it really worked and you can bet I will be doing that again next year.