Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
I had a carving party over the weekend, and I'd like to recap my current thoughts on my process of carving.

Along the table, I placed cups full of carving tools. For transferring... I had transfer paper, pokers, pounce wheels, etc. For scooping... "Monster Scoops", "Super Scoopers" and "Pumpkin Gutters." For carving... PM saws, ZP Pro Carving Tools, battery operated Power Carvers. For lighting... tea light candles and LED Rainbow lights. I have my personal favorites, but I own at least one of every carving tool out there, because it's my duty to test them out.

It was interesting to see which tools people reached for. I didn't have a chance to demonstrate every tool (this was more a social gathering than a classroom lesson). And some of my guests had never carved with patterns before. But they each grabbed a tool that they thought would do the job, and jumped right in.

I had my drill on the table with the Pumpkin Gutter attached. Before I could explain what it was for, I heard the Gutter whirring inside somebody's pumpkin. It was a big hit this year (thanks to my new drill). I think everyone appreciated the speed at which they could get passed the "messy" step. And heck, it's just fun to use power tools. The Pumpkin Gutter is now an official part of every carving I do. I'm still on my first battery charge on the drill (and have a spare charged up).

The only time you might have to get your hands dirty while using the Pumpkin Gutter is when you remove it from the drill to slide off the strings that get wrapped around the shaft. But I tried to avoid having to do this by sliding a knife down the shaft and against the blades on the end... doing this a couple times cut all the strings off, and I could keep on gutting, without having to remove the Gutter or touch anything gooey.

I've used transfer paper before, but I guess I hadn't tried a really good brand previously. This time I had Saral brand transfer paper on hand (in the blue color). A few people were hesitant to venture away from the tried and true hole poking method. But once we saw the results of the transfer paper, we had a room full of converts. Again, it saved so much time (and hand cramping) to use the transfer paper, which pleased the people. I think the only time I'll be using the hole poking method from now on is when I run out of transfer paper.

You might feel silly wearing a head lamp, and looking like some old coal miner. But it can help you see what you're working on, especially if the room is set to "atmospheric mood lighting mode."

I know everyone has their preferred methods. It's all about what works for you, and make the process fun. But these are some methods that are working for me this year.

The aftermath:

Last edited by Zombie Pumpkins! on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
By nosferatu
That is truly amazing. Really inspirational... I think I'll try and drum up support for one next year....as well as importing some of that transfer paper. All I can get my hands on is graphite paper that sort of works...but not very well.

It's great that the master is always learning a new trick or two, too!
By Coley
Have invested in the Saral transfer paper myself, having seen it suggested on St0neys site last year.

I think stocking it would be a great idea Ryan, as finding it here in the UK was a major pain. Ended up paying £12 on Ebay ! ($42)

It is vital for shading aswell.

By the way Ryan, looked like a great night!
By Sind3315
Looks like you and your guests had an great time!!! I'm excited to try the transfer paper, the blue really pops! I will definately order if you stock it...
By Euri
That would rock if you stocked the Saral transfer paper. Jay Ball is always raving about it at his carving parties. I liked it the one time that I tried it, but haven't had much time to search.

Funny, at my carving party everyone was so afraid to do a 'complicated' pattern, but I heard several people say afterward that it was faster and easier than they thought and wished that they had tried a harder pattern. Hook, line and sinker! Mwahahaha!
By sodajazz
The good thing about saral paper is, it never seems to run out. :D

Ryan I can't believe how much of of an organised person you are, I think I am organised in a kind of messy come cluttered way :lol:
By Zombie Pumpkins!
sodajazz wrote:The good thing about saral paper is, it never seems to run out. :D
My guests were pretty liberal with the transfer paper. I think I have JUST enough for the handful of pumpkins I'll be carving in the next few days. I gotta stock up on this stuff!
sodajazz wrote:Ryan I can't believe how much of of an organised person you are
I hear that a lot. One of my many quirks. It's interesting when you're into gory and messy crafts, but simultaneously a neat freak. The "aftermath" photo of tools thrown all about... that pains me a little bit. :wink:
By Kittie
zombiepumpkins wrote:I think I might stock the transfer paper in my shop next year. Anything to make the process easier for the people.
GOOD IDEA!! I love it!! It works better then any other method I have tried! I can use the same sheet on about 10 pumpkins before I have to cut a new one.
By GUS
zombiepumpkins wrote:I think I might stock the transfer paper in my shop next year. Anything to make the process easier for the people.
,,I seem to remember suggesting that myself earlier in the year somewhere, they have a well organised approachable site!
By mesmark
I used plain old carbon paper this year for the first time, and i'll never go back unles the store runs out of carbon paper. :)

I was able to transfer patterns faster, much faster, and 'see' them afterward. Carbon paper totally rocks!

I'd dare to say it cuts transfering and carving time in half, plus it makes it easier to get some of Ryan contours with a bit more accuracy.
By Kittie
We tried carbon paper for the pumpkin walk and it didn't work as well as the Saral paper works. Not sure why.
By SaneInsideInsanity
wow this is making me realise that as lucky as your geust are i'm spoiling mine they all picked out patterns last week and i transfered the patterns and gutted the pumpkins for them last night....i need to rethink my planning
By matspud
I got some saral this year but didn't use it. I will have 3 pumpkins left after halloween to play with so I will have a go then.