Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
Some Halloween/party shops carry these little misters. It's a small unit that you place in a bowl of water. It creates a flowing mist which looks pretty cool. Sorta like dry ice, but safer. LED lights attached to the mister light up the fog it creates.

I haven't tried it out inside a pumpkin yet, but in theory it should fill the pumpkin with mist, which leaks out the holes for a creepy effect. It splashes a bit of water too, so be aware of that. If the bottom of your pumpkin isn't sound, you might not want to have your it on a surface that would be damaged by water. But overall, I think the humidifier effect of this mist would help keep the pumpkin from shriveling up, which is a good thing. :)

To give you an idea what it might look like in action, click here and then click the "Play Video" icon. That's not the product I'm talking about (that one comes with a resin pumpkin) but that's the basic effect.

I picked up my mist maker at my local Spirit. It cost $25, but I've seen them for a bit less, and a bit more. Mine has a dozen LED lights on it, which glow red, purple, and blue.

By Dans banana Loafcake
I've tried it and it does look good, but your right about the spitting. I put it in a glass of water but you have to keep topping it up.
Think it would work best with a carving which is quiet high up on the pumpkin and isn't to intricate. I did Sirius Black but I think you showed a photo of the oogie boogie in last years contest and that worked well.

Dan
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I tried my mister on a carved pumpkin tonight, and the results were great. I'll have to see if I can get some pictures/videos of this in effect.

The one drawback is that because this mist machine basically evaporates the water out of the bowl its sitting in, it runs out pretty quickly and requires you to refill with water often to keep the effect going.

I'm looking forward to making it part of my display this Halloween. Not sure which design will get the foggy treatment. Maybe "Eye of Newt" should have smoke coming from her bubbling cauldron. :twisted:
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Final word on the mist machine: I tried to make use of this on Halloween night, but the steady splashing of water started to come out the pumpkins mouth, slowly making puddles on the porch.

Also, the water level got too low to create mist within a couple minutes. So basically, this idea was a bust. It's an awesome effect, but with so much to do on Halloween I don't have time to refill a water bowl every few minutes. :?