Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Dr. Frybrain
Don't EVER let them freeze.
By SuperSonic
My pumpkins got frostbite and still survived :) im just really lucky like that
By hkzombie
Joey wrote:Pfffft to your 60 highs! We're still getting highs in the 90s here! I keep my pumpkins indoors for that reason, it's cooler in here then it is outside.
Where in socal do you live? I live in Chula Vista, and hopefully by the time Halloween rolls around storing pumpkins won't be a concern for us. :D
By Joey
hkzombie wrote:Where in socal do you live? I live in Chula Vista, and hopefully by the time Halloween rolls around storing pumpkins won't be a concern for us. :D
I used to be in West Hills, but recently moved up to Davis in NorCal. The weather is so weeeeird up here!
By hkzombie
today was a gloomy day, but I like it! I think fall is finally approaching, we did have a late summer which is super weird. It's the global warming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o
By Joey
It was so nice until it got hot, and even the super hot days weren't so bad. I'm bummed I didn't spend any at the beach, I was caught up in watermelon carving and costume making!

It rained on Sunday, which meant my car got wet because I left the roof open :oops:
By CombichristGirl
hkzombie wrote:today was a gloomy day, but I like it! I think fall is finally approaching, we did have a late summer which is super weird. It's the global warming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o
same thing here in northern ohio
By hkzombie
I love how everyone wraps their pumpkins in a blanket! Very motherly I should say. But, its still a good idea...I was a bad pumpkin Mom last year and stored by baby kin in the fridge! Don't think I will be doing that this season! :)
By suzika
I had one lone pumpkin that didn't get carved last year and sat on the porch until February. Then we had almost 3 feet of snow fall. When the snow was cleared off the porch the poor thing had collapsed from freezing then thawing.

I was sad as seeing that pumpkin sitting on the porch, even after Thanksgiving, and behind Christmas decorations made me very happy. I miss the pumpkins when they go away.
By Mistress_of_Halloween
Last year my pumpkins were a bit of a disaster. I carved them throught the week before Halloween, which happened to have frost every day. Then on Halloween we had a freak heat wave and all of my carved beauties turned to mush. I'll have to be extra dilligant this year
By Lithium_joe
I kept mine in the cardboard boxes I bring them home in from the supermarket and covered with a bin-bag liner.

No bin liner in this photo from 2008 and they would normally reside in the shed rather than the store room, but cardboard boxes in evidence.

I use the bin liner to gather up pumpkin debris from cutting and re-use the boxes by up-turning them and they become stands to display them on.

Which is how I was able to to do this last year.

By mudd
I have no worries when it comes to the weather. i have a cat that i gotta keep an eye on. she loves to bite into them. damn cat is a hardcore vegetarian.
By Nikki
I don't usually worry about the weather with my pumpkins.. I keep them inside during the night and outside during the day to show them off...It's a lot of work hauling them in and out but ... :D

I would say if it's really cold to keep it inside the garage/basement or somewhere in the house
By Hottie McNaughty
I don't baby my pumpkins too much. I keep them on the porch because we don't really have really cold or really warm weather this time of year. We seem to have good corn and pumpkin growing weather round these parts!