Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Lithium_joe
By way of recompense:

Here is a design suggestion for Ryan.

It's a Dark Knight theme bat-signal and uses the "Ha" Ha"s from his Joker Design.

I got the idea from the CD insert for the soundtrack has this image carved into a wall and it appeared during the viral marketing campaign that preceded the movie's release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq85Dka4ReM

By Lithium_joe
Back on topic: I'm going out the the garage to try out the carbon paper method.

Wish me luck. :D
By nosferatu
Good luck!
By Lithium_joe
Okay, last time I mention it I promise, but here is the ride of the reaper design, transfered via carbon paper, permanent marker - and on the narrower bits - biro pen.

Last edited by Lithium_joe on Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By sara_mckinlay
I just pick the once I like it always ends up being a bit of a modgepodge. but then there is something for everyone for example zombies beside snowwhite.
By Coley
Living in the UK, the main restriction for me is finding any pumpkins worthy of any of Ryans pumpkins! :(

This year seems to be worse than any year i can remember. I am yet to copy any stencil that hasnt been reduced by at least 80%, and i cant do any patterns that are tall, becuase all the pumpkins i have found are the small 'flat' type.

Looked forward to halloween for ages, and Ryans new designs, but am left feeling ( not unlike my 33 pumpkins) a bit flat and deflated :(

Hope the party tonight will sort it out.

Coley
By nosferatu
I was in the same boat too. Had to reduce everything to 83%, they were extremely poor quality, very round as opposed to being tall and flat and very stringy.

I had one big pumpkin out of the 20 or so I bought, 2 I carved early on and four went soft.

The thing about having to reduce the patterns is that it makes them that much more difficult to carve and Iwould say that about 75% would be the limit.

Anyway, moan over, I look forward to seeing your carvings posted.
By Lithium_joe
I shopped early and got long, tall and wide. :D

Must have got lucky though: I was wandering through the suprmarket the other day and the pumpkins were all tiny. :?
By matspud
I was realy lucky as I got great sized pumpkins and could have done with enlarging some of the patterns ( eg sweeney toodd, Mrs Lovett , tooth fairy etc) but rushed away from work on Thursday having forgotten to do it ( my printer copier won't go up to A3 paper :? ) and there was no way I was going back to do it. Will have to be more organised next year :)
By Ajax
I look for the most difficult and try to carve that one. Freddy kregar, Et, Darth Maul, . Whatever i think has the most detail.