Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By HALLOWEEN QUEEN
Tkaraoke wrote:
I can't stand making a cut, taking the blade out, then putting back in and making another cut, etc....

We have found the best tool to use to cut off the lids is a sawsall. I don't know if that's how you spell it...but it sure makes quick work of de-lidding! Have one person...who is experienced with the tool cut and another holds the pumpkin and turns it. Runs just like an assembly line!

oh yeah....the cheapest most effective tool we use to scrape out pumpkins...canning jar lids. :wink:
By Tkaraoke
Sawzall

I looked them up and on the net and I guessed exactly what you were talking about. Sawzall looks to be a brand name of a reciprocating saw. I've been thinking about getting one of these but it looks like the cheapest one I could find on Home Depot's website is $50.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Tkaraoke wrote:One of my least favorite parts of carving is cutting the top off
For the last several years I've just used a kitchen steak knife to cut my lids. This fairly strong knife has a serrated edge and a point on the end.

Takes a firm grip (on the pumpkin and knife handle) but I've never had any trouble cutting open the pumpkin tops. I zoom right around as I spin the pumpkin, and presto... round lid (with a notch on the back to help align it later)
By Tkaraoke
That's all good and fine, sir but where does one like me find a high-tech device like that? Surley you just don't find something like that at you local kitchen supply store!
:wink:
By Drayco
ZombiePumpkins wrote: Image
Hey Patch Master, is the set of tiki's in the background of your pic the inspiration to some of your tiki patterns?
By Tkaraoke
I was going to mention that as well but it slipped my mind...what little there is still left of it! LOL

Man, it's getting awfully close to the end of September. I think I'm starting to get the shakes! ROFL
By vaderknightrider
ZombiePumpkins wrote:For the last several years I've just used a kitchen steak knife to cut my lids. This fairly strong knife has a serrated edge and a point on the end.

Takes a firm grip (on the pumpkin and knife handle) but I've never had any trouble cutting open the pumpkin tops. I zoom right around as I spin the pumpkin, and presto... round lid (with a notch on the back to help align it later)
Same here. Nothing works great for me to make a lid like a trusty steak knife. :twisted:
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Drayco wrote:Hey Patch Master, is the set of tiki's in the background of your pic the inspiration to some of your tiki patterns?
Well, the tiki faces of my stencils aren't directly based on my tiki mugs. But I guess they're all part of my current tiki fascination which began this summer. I have quite a few of them in my kitchen. Tiki mugs, tiki coasters, tiki magnets, tiki masks, and even tiki a clock.
By amandap80
I use the trusty steak knife method for the lid, and used the Moster Scoop last year. It definitely made innard scraping less of a chore, though be careful how forceful you are with it, the handle will bend. I need to try to dig up those clay tools. Martha Stewart raves about them, and others. Any ideas where to buy online?