Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Mrs. Tat
First let me say that I am pretty new at this pumpkin carving thing. I plan to get a Speedball lino cutter with blade #2 and blade #5 to use mainly for shaving pumpkin skin, but I will also want to try actually carving pumpkins as well (I do cut and gut my shaved pumpkins so the light will shine through the shaded area).

What is the best tool or tool set to use for carving? I saw discussion on this site about the Warren professional pumpkin carving set so I checked it out on the web. It looks nice. Could the speedball lino cutter do the same thing (not sure if they have the same type cutters)? I don't want to sepnd money and order the Warren set if the Speedball can do the same job as well. I am willing to buy the Warren set if it will do a better carving job though.

One difference I notice is that the Warren set uses a wrench to change the tools and the Speedball has a chuck.

Opinions anyone?
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I have a Speedball lino cutter, but I use it more for the "shaving" methods. Maybe I'm not aware of what the blades you're using with it are like. Are they like little saws? For cut-through patterns such as the ones I offer, I think you need a mini saw blade of decent length.

That's why I use the Warren pro tool. They come with 6 blades (two different sizes). And while the tool comes with a wrench, you don't really need it to change blades. I just turn the brass chuck with my hand to loosen/tighten the blades. Much like you can do with the Speedball handle or an X-acto knife handle.

I'm not recommending the Warren tool just because I'll be selling them this season. :wink: It just happens to be the favorite tool I've used so far. If anyone is interested in picking one up, keep your loyal Patch Master in mind. Here's a few photos of the "ZP edition" of this tool, which I'll have on sale soon.

Image Image Image
By S.A.M
I've not used the speedball lino cutter but I have had a look at it online, it looks like it would do good for scoring and peeling the skin from a pumpkin but not so good for actual carving, to carve a pumpkin you need to use a sawing action to get good lines and a easy cut, I'd imagine it would be difficult to achieve that with a lino cutter.

For carving a pumpkin I would think you would be better off with a serrated bladed tool like the pumpkin master saw and the warren pro carving tools.

I've used the Zombie Pumpkins version of the warren pro carving tool to carve a watermelon and it did a great job, this website will be selling them in time for Halloween, think about ordering it from the Zombie Pumpkins store if you're interested.
:D

*edit* Patch master beat me to it :P
By Mrs. Tat
Patchmaster: When do you think the Warren tool set will be offered on this site? Do you have an ETA? My family's pumpkin fest is early this year, on 10/6 and I want to make sure there is enough time for it to be delivered. Wow, it's amazing how quickly I am becoming obsessed.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Thanks for the testimonial S.A.M. I think you were the first one to order that tool set from me. Just so I don't look like I'm shamelessly plugging my own store, there are other blades out there. We all have the Pumpkin Masters kits, and these Warren pro tools are similar in concept. The sawing motion you get can really cut through that pumpkin.

The difference with the Warren pro tool is that the blades are shaper and stronger. And with the solid wood/brass handle, you know you'll have a tool you can use for years. I like these blades because they're pointier and have finer saw teeth than the more "kid-friendly" kits you find in most stores. Good for detail work. Like a hot knife through pumpkin pie.

Mrs. Tat - I hope to have these tools officially on sale this week. But if you want to contact me by PM or email, I can sell them "behind the scenes" immediately. Either way, you're not far from my location so it shouldn't take more than a day or two for you to receive them by USPS.
By sodajazz
They are fantastic tools. I'd recommend you buying a set :D

Don't worry about the shameless plug Ryan :lol: I'd buy snake oil from Zombie Pumpkins :lol:
By gregh3196
I cant wait to order a set and throw my cheap PM toy set in the trash. While carving a melon earlier they kept bending and slipping out of my hand because the handles are tiny :x It will be nice to have some tools that feel like they are not going to break each time i use them.
By Tkaraoke
My store shopping list for the Zombie-store has grown...

Warren Pro Tools
Pumpkin Gutter
Pumpkin Fresh (going to give it a try)

Also, in the past (for those who order from the ZP store) Ryan would send out a "bonus" pattern not available on the ZP website. That's an extra incentive to get the best gear from the best source for all things pumpkin and Halloween.
By Patti
Get the Warren pro kit. The lino cutter is not the same tool. It's good for shaving but if you want to carve out sections you need the saws.

I have two of the Warren pro kits. We carved over 100 pumpkins last year and the blades were still sharp after that much use. I think we only used two blades from each set. The others haven't even been used yet.

Patti
By Joey
Since I'm always looking for new shaving tools, does anyone have pictures of this Lino cutter thing?

I'll pimp the Warren saws too, those things are amazing. I'm planning on getting a ZP set to try out the new thinner handle.
By Tkaraoke
I've been considering getting a Speedball set (since I wanted to do a shaded pattern for Thanksgiving) and I was wondering how exactly these things work. Does the knife only allow you to go so deep into the pumpkin flesh or is it totally up to the person using the tool via how much pressure the put on the blade? I'm a total dumbass when it comes to these tools but I want to lean.
By sodajazz
The speed ball allows you to shave off the pumpkin skin with ease, and it depends on the carver or the pattern as to how deep you 'shave' the pumpkin. Some folks light up their kins while they are carving with a speedball so the can see how much light is visible. :D
By Tkaraoke
Now there is a great idea! Gives you a perfect idea how deep you are going. I'm not giving up on the cut through patterns but I want to explore the realm of shaded pumpkins. With cut through patterns, you are limited with the subject matter that you can put on a pumpkin. When you are shading...the sky's the limit.
By GUS
I heartily endorse Ryan, & others positive feedback on the ZP warren Pro pumpkin saw carving kit...

received mine in 3 days from order from ryan (international)
& the blades are such good quality, you carve with utmost confidence compared to that time you tried it with a cheap "toy" set.
it coped phenomonally well in the hands of 9-11 yr olds with a bit of guidance,
:lol: ..ANYTHING LESS JUST DOESNT CUT THE MUSTARD! (let alone pumpkin flesh) :lol:

Based on Ryans dedication to the best product available for the site I have a love affair with his howler lights! ..& will be buying a few extra warren pro tool kits so that I can get a decent school of carving going for this year.
(well i can hardly expect them to get good results with anything less now can I)!??

worth every cent, stay sharp, unquestionable quality & results for both foam & real pumpkins (you can quote me on that)
will invest in the gutter to even though i'm mainly a funkins carver!
A+ for price too, was cheaper here thasn on ebay last time I looked...

Thankyou Ryan!!!!!!!!!!!!