Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By leid1911
I've heard:
1. Keep them cool
2. Soak them in water for a couple hours
3. Coat cut edges in vaseline

Any other suggestions? What's the longest I should expect a pumpkin to last? My 5 year old is ready to carve one now!
By Kayo
i carved a real one early and put it in my fridge like i saw on here it killed it faster than if i had left it out in the element. the fridge has a dehydrator in it apparently.

i know that the water soak does help.
Here are some things I have had luck with:
Spray the inside with Lysol after carving
Coat cut edges and inside with WD40 or vaseline
Soak in water after slight shriveling, the re-spray with Lysol
I soak mine daily in cold water for about 15-20 minutes and spray them inside and out with a bleach/water mixture and try to keep them as cool as possible without freezing. I think six days is the longest I've ever kept one good looking.
By Kayo
leid1911 wrote:Yeah, I left one in the water too long - equally bad! :?
i only leave the fresh carve in the water the length it takes to carve the next. but its wet where i live so mine stay good for about a week. i'm the weird person on the block that still has pumpkins out in november but seeing as im practicaly the only person that carves i dont care :lol:
I coated the insides and cut edges with vaseline and left it outside on the porch. It was cold, but it stayed out of the rain. Mine lasted just under 2 weeks. And it wasn't even shriveled/rotten when I got rid of it. I just didn't want it attracting bugs, or look like a nut with halloween decorations up, well into November :lol:

-Fred