Classics or modern, discuss your picks for the sickest flicks.
By pagemaster1993
Did anyone else know they were remaking Evil Dead. To be honest I still have not seen Evil Dead 1 or 2 or even Army of Darkness, but I am sort of getting tired of remakes. Especially remakes of horror movies.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Yeah, I've heard about this. It's hard to imagine an Evil Dead film without Bruce Campbell. In order to not draw direct comparisons to his Ash character, the remake will feature a female lead.

I wonder what sort of tone the new movie will take. A big part of the charm of the originals is their campy style. The first one aimed to be more serious, but had a low budget. The next two films grew increasingly bigger, and incorporated more comedy. Simply put, the Evil Dead trilogy is just fun. Born from the ideas of three friends, Sam Raimi, Bruce Campbell, and Rob Tapert.

The remake will be produced by Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi, but just because their names are on it doesn't mean it will have the same vibe. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to take the story seriously, giving us something like the Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th remakes.

Who knows. I'll probably see the new Evil Dead, but I'm not waiting with bated breath. Everything gets remade eventually. I stopped worrying about it really. The remakes don't make the originals cease to exist. In fact, if a remake does poorly, then it only serves to reinforce what a classic the original is.
By Ajax
More Evil Dead is a win in my opinion! Actually I thought Cabin in the Woods was close to a remake of Evil Dead. I'm not against remakes. It can renew interest in the subject matter to new people and is usually decent entertainment even if not as great as the original. I enjoyed the Friday the 13th and NIghtmare on elm st remakes. I guess if we didn't have remakes or reboots we probably would have missed out on Nolan's Batman trilogy. There are some brilliant directors out there now a days, and if treated properly with modern day film techniques Evil Dead and Army of Darkness could be a great thing. More of something isn't always a bad thing.

That being said the last Indiana Jones movie was a bad move. The fog remake was terrible. Alien vs predator 2 was unwatchable, but none of these movies effect my love of the originals. Much like Ryan's remake of patterns such as Darth Maul and Killer clowns from Outer Space there is room for both in my binder of patterns :D .
By monstermash
Evil Dead is Bruce Campbell, Bruce Campbell is Evil Dead. 'Nuff said.
By Cheef
Completely agree with Monstermash. I get a little tired of the non stop remake thing going on in Hollywood. thee people need to remember that sometimes just because you can it doesn't mean you should..
By Batgirl
I could be way off here, but I've heard/read that this version of Evil Dead is about a girl that is trying to kick her addiction from drugs and her friends take her to a remote cabin. Something along those lines.

Here's my issue... If it's going to be a "re-make" then keep with the same main plot, characters, etc. If you're going to change it up a lot (Mockinbird Lane) then call it something else!

I mean, are there really no good ideas out there right now? Must we constantly go back to the movies we love and "re-make" them? Ugh... sorry... I'll step down from this soap box I found lying on the ground.
By brandon_fear
I'm kind of sick of all these remakes myself but I think I've learned to except that it's never going to end.

I have to admit, there are a few remakes I've actually enjoyed like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre but it don't beat the original at all.

Bruce Campbell said in an interview that Sam Raimi and himself is fully involved in the movie right down to the casting. Campbell even chose the female lead for the remake.

I'm cautious about it still, but I probably will be watching it on opening night.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I agree Brandon. The remakes will keep coming. In fact, the concept of the movie remake isn't new. It's been a part of cinema from the start. Classic stories get retold again and again. And sometimes you get a good remake. I'll admit that I like some of them.

So we'll hold out hope for the new Evil Dead. Direct involvement of Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi is surely encouraging. But they aren't the same exact guys they were years ago. Remember, George Lucas made the first Star Wars trilogy... and then the prequels.
By Raven
I only seem to have a problem with remakes if the original is a movie I love. If I haven't seen the original movie, or didn't like it, I usually don't mind they are remaking it.

Sometimes I am excited for the remake, like with The Amityville Horror, only to be disappointed. Lately it seems Hollywood likes to over use special effects when it comes to horror.

I've noticed the younger generation tends to like the remakes far more than the original, if they have even seen the original.
By ghostface
I agree with you RD, I love the originals. On occasion there tends to be a good remake made here and there but not very often. I myself have not seen The Evil Dead yet, but since they are remaking it, I'm going to have to watch the original first before I check out the remake next year.
By ghostface
I just got done watching the original The Evil Dead and I loved it! I'm interested in seeing what they do with the remake.
By vibhandaka
I'm almost scared to admit it, but I think I've only seen Evil Dead 1 time and none of the sequels. I need to watch them all. If I see a remake I always like to watch the original movie first.
By keifferone
Sam Raimi stopped that remake. He filed a law suit to stop it from being made. He said he is working on an "Evil Dead" Movie himself. The other company from what I hear did not own any rights to it so when Sam Raimi heard about it he stopped it. No word if his project is a remake or "Evil Dead 3 Arm of darkness 2" (that was a title he was kicking around about ten years ago) but we will have to wait and see. Bruce better be in it!! :twisted:
By EarthGBilly
I'm not a fan of remakes, but I've got a growing appreciation for "re-imaginings," and this definitely sounds as if it is more along those lines.

Let's face it - no one would have been happy with just lifting the premise/plot from the original film and trying to insert a new cast. That is the problem with remakes in general - if the original film was really good and the cast was great, why remake it at all?

A re-imagining, though, that has potential. Look at the recent "Rise of the Planet of the Apes." I'm a huge PotA fan, and my favorite of those films was Conquest, which was the sort of "origin" story for that series. I was primed to dislike Rise, but was very pleased with it. They took aspects and elements from the original, just enough to make it familiar, but went in a completely different direction. They made it possible for me to enjoy the new without feeling like I was betraying my love of the original.

Re-imaginings don't always work (notice that the example I used was Rise, and not the Tim Burton PotA from a while back), but if they respect the original without merely aping it, they can be great.