Classics or modern, discuss your picks for the sickest flicks.
By Tkaraoke
Did you know that they are working on a DARK CRYSTAL 2?
By Tkaraoke
Dammit! Now I want to carve Jack, Sally, and the terrible trio on a pumpkin! ACK!!!!! ROFL!
:lol:
By Kittie
Yeah, they are tentatively calling it The Power of the Dark Crystal.

My sister sent me this a few weeks ago
"The "Power" script continues the tale of elfin heroes Jen and Kira, last seen returning the shard to the evil crystal and seemingly abolishing the vulture-like Skeksis from their land. Set many years after the first flick, "Power" casts Jen and Kira as king and queen, now overseeing a kingdom whose peace is disturbed by a visit from the underground-dwelling U-mun people. After the Gelflings refuse their request for a shard of crystal that could preserve the U-mun race, a desperate visitor takes it anyway, threatening their world with another thousand years of chaos."
By Tkaraoke
One thing about NIGHTMARE I didn't really get (I can't stand not getting things like this) was Oogie's gambling theme. I guess it was allusion to "Gambling with your life".

One funny thing about the movie....
I was so intent on not taking my eyes off the screen I ended up with a huge pile of popcorn on my lap before the end of the movie!
:lol:
By belli
Tkaraoke wrote:Dammit! Now I want to carve Jack, Sally, and the terrible trio on a pumpkin!
When I heard the movie was being re-released, I decided to carve 7 Nightmare patterns plus 8 other patterns. There were lots of young kids who must have seen the re-release because they knew all the characters I carved by name. I saw Nightmare 3D over the weekend and loved it!! I was afraid that it would just be in theaters through Halloween but I lucked out.

By the way, nice job on your pumpkins.
By Tkaraoke
Thanks for the compliment on the pumpkins!

I'd like to grab this movie on DVD but it looks like it's not going for under $50 (two disc special edition)...probably because it's out of print.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Tkaraoke wrote:The animation techniques might be a little antiquated...
I remember thinking that the technique (stop motion animation) seemed antiquated even when the movie was first released in 1993. Well, not that it's old-fashioned, per se. But you rarely see it done. Not since the glory days of Rankin/Bass (Rudolf, et al) The process is just too time consuming, I suppose.

But I can't imagine Nightmare Before Christmas being done any other way. Cel animation? Computer animation? Live action? It wouldn't work. Halloween Town just seems like it should be inhabited by these twisted creatures, with strange proportions, and odd movements.
Tkaraoke wrote:Now I want to carve Jack, Sally, and the terrible trio on a pumpkin
Ah ha! I've got at least one customer for 2007. ;)
Tkaraoke wrote:One thing I didn't really get was Oogie's gambling theme
Aside from the "gambling with life" theme, I don't think you're really missing any deep meaning. I always just assumed that Oogie just happened to like playing such games.

Plus, it was an opportunity to play with a cool visual theme, which is unique from other sets in the film. The dice (snake eyes!), cards with swords, a giant roulette wheel. Oogie's lair is a dangerous place. And ya gotta love the black-light effect during his big number.
By matspud
I won't use the words I want to :D So NBC is going on general release in the UK on dec. 1....... is it *!@@$£&. :x :x :x
Obviously the UK doesn't include Scotland or Wales!!!!!! I can only find a couple of cinemas that are showing it in England. The closest is more than 4 hrs away.
By Tkaraoke
matspud wrote:Obviously the UK doesn't include Scotland or Wales!!!!!!
Since when has it ever?? LOL! :D ;) j/k

I was so mesmerized by the movie itself the 3-D effect really didn't matter to me. It gave the movie a little more depth but it really didn't increase my enjoyment of it. The story is what really caught my imagination and I remember sitting there thinking that this has to be one of the most visually entertaining (and beautiful) movies I have ever seen. One of the things that kind of turned me off when the movie was originally released is that I thought Jack was a "bad guy". It turned out that Jack really loved the concept of Christmas (and the idea of doing something different than the same old Halloween spiel) that he was blinded to the fact that what he was doing was wrong...and we all know what road is paved with "good intentions"! LOL