Classics or modern, discuss your picks for the sickest flicks.
Alas poor 2D I knew him well.

Do I take my daughter to see Toy Story 3 at the cinema and watch 2D, 3D or IMAX.

Never seen anything on IMAX so quite keen for that. 2D, for the time being, seems outmoded, very 20th century.
By GUS
Nos, Speaking as a ((BAD)) parent, Do not take your child to a 3D movie, as the poor wee mites will ask for every film to be viewed @the cinema in 3d from that point on! ..& to be frank, not everything is , nor will be for a good while yet.

Then theres the bumped up ticket prices, how much for a morning viewing with the kids does that amount to after everythings been taken into consideration?

Besides Coraline in 3d was a waste of time, (remember), if your eyes do not attune it's simply boring & annoying blurriness.

weigh up the costs, to my daughter (now 6) it's a birthday treat to see 3d films, other than that she tells me she prefers to watch movies at home a few times end to end on our projector, which works out way cheaper in te short & long run!

(ps do you want my recipe for the worlds best popcorn) ..superb stuff which keeps for a week no problem!
By monstermash
My eyes did not get used to avatar which put me right off 3D films. The background and any moving parts seem to be fuzzy for me so i don't see the point in wasting ten quid. Go retro and see it 2D, i know i will.
By GUS
Avatar is amazing on your average projector, we really have watched it alot, (perhaps 20 times to date) I really beed to introduce my daughter to LOTR trilogy, (she's seen & understands saving private ryans opener, as she needs to understand the futility whilst respecting what the armed forces did & do).
might seem a bit odd, however it's a tough world & in part she also uses it to understand a friend who had his legs & some fingers blown off in Ireland to the knees (a snowboarding buddy),
If you can spend lots of time explaining to a nipper they do have great conceptual abilities.
Nos spend out on a cheap projector when time & finances allow, then simply buy when dvd's are on a cheapy deal. your family will not regret it, great for nights together.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I saw Toy Story 3 in 3D and really enjoyed it. I think the effect works well for these computer animated movies. Although, it's a strong movie either way, so I'm sure it can be enjoyed in 2D just as well.

When deciding to see a movie in 2D or 3D, one factor I consider is - was it filmed natively in 3D, or converted after the fact?

Before I was aware of the difference, I saw a few movies in 3D.... to me, "Coraline" and "Avatar" looked great in three dimensions. Realistic and not distracting. But "Alice in Wonderland" and "Clash of the Titans" looked somehow.... off. Rather "flat" with 3D cutout effects that seemed to distract me.

Turns out, the 2D source footage for those latter two movies was converted in a computer after the fact, rather than being filmed with dual cameras originally (or rendered with two "virtual" cameras in the case of a computer animated film).

So for the record, Toy Story 3 was rendered in true 3D, if this issue is something you want to go by. Here's a handy list of movies separating the real 3D films that were shot/rendered natively in 3D from the fake ones that weren't:

http://realorfake3d.com/

And here's an article about true 3D vs. "fake 3D"...

Michael Bay And James Cameron Skeptical Of 3D Conversions: "The Jury Is Out"
By CombichristGirl
i gotta say i love the real 3d. simply amazing for myself.so im bias lol. i was just thinking of taking my duaghter to see it in 3d lol
By monstermash
I read about true/fake 3D in an article in Empire. It was Joe Dante talking about his up coming 3D horror The Hole (which sounds good) and how many big money films are just converting rather than filming in true 3D. It's definately something to think about before you fork out for a 3D ticket.
By Dredge
Agreed. I went and saw My Bloody Valentine 3D and had a blast!!! I was really looking forward to Clash of the titans in 3D and was waaaaay disappointed in the quality. Its a huge difference.
By nosferatu
We saw the film in 3D and it was superb. The effects were great and the animation just stunning. Absolutely stunning.