Classics or modern, discuss your picks for the sickest flicks.
By GUS
F.W. Murnau's silent classic is the original, and some say scariest, DRACULA adaptation, taking Bram Stoker's novel and turning it into a haunting, shadowy dream of German Expressionist horror and dread. Count Orlok, the rodentlike vampire frighteningly portrayed by Max Schreck, is perhaps the most animalistic screen portrayal of a vampire ever filmed. The design was copied by Werner Herzog in his 1979 remake and by Tobe Hooper for his telefilm of Stephen King's SALEM'S LOT that same year. Names had to be changed from the novel when Stoker's wife charged his novel was being filmed without proper permission. Charged with now-legendary cinematic imagery, NOSFERATU is a landmark of the horror genre that should not be missed.

http://www.cdwow.com/DVD/NOSFERATU/dp/pc/10523527

A long time ago, he was one of the horror "guv'nors" ..some of the earliest modern horror.
By nosferatu
I love watching it....naturally.

I think some of the black and white early horrors, although not conventional horror by today's standards, still have the capacity to scare and frighten. I think that black and white adds to the miasma. Shadows on stairs, a ghostly white face emerging from the shadows, those are the type of things that used to freak me out as a child. Not the greatest effects in the world but for the time sheer genius. I can hear the audiences screaming
By monstermash
Fantastic film! they are playing it at the Glasgow film theatre on the 1st of November and im very tempted to go to see it on the big screen. I agree with you Nos, although very different to todays horror there is something about black and white that really adds a creepy touch. The Innocents is another great B+W chiller. I would recommend it if you haven't already seen it. The Others and The Sixth Sense were inspired by it but it comes out on top for me.
For those who have never watched Nosferatu i urge you to check it out, for cultures sake!!
By monstermash
Ive got the Lon Chaney Wolfman on dvd. I'll have to check out the Ealings though. You're now my go to guy for dvd releases Gus, you seem to know all the good ones! :)
By nosferatu
That's because he was already one of the undead when the originals came out
By Zombie Pumpkins!
When I first saw Nosferatu, I was impressed with the films ability to be suspenseful and creepy, despite being a silent film from many years ago. Back in the early days of cinema, they sure used imagery in some unique ways. Playing with shadows and camera angles.

My initial impression of Nosferatu was also given a boost because my first time ever seeing it was in an auditorium on a big movie screen, with live orchestra accompaniment!
By GUS
Until maybe a few years ago, this film was pretty much a staple for film school students (so I understand) ..like you say, good play with shadows & climactic build up, accentuated by well chosen music, applies today as much as then when story telling..
By gregh3196
I first saw Nosferatu when i was very young maybe 6 or 7 and it scared me to death. The black and white is what makes a lot of classics spooky and it being a silent film made it even better. Guessing what the voices and sounds were like is great to me
By GUS
I saw it too many times as a kid, & thought it somewhat cheesey. due to the way it was generally used as a clip, so never got into it , when seen in full, in the dark the whole build up etc.., you open your eyes & simply appreciate it's mastery of the time.