Classics or modern, discuss your picks for the sickest flicks.
By Raven
No way can they top the original. It's just not possible. The original scared the hell out of me. It looks like this one will be using a bit more CGI or special effects. I liked the original in that there was not an overload of that. What can't be seen is far more scary than what you can see... I will still give this a chance though.

By chuckwagon
I'm looking forward to this, for sure! I agree, though, nothing can top the original. I wanna go into this with an open mind, and hopefully keep my opinions void of comparison. Gonna be difficult to say the least, but I'm happy it's getting a modern day update. The only thing I'm not diggin' is the clown doll... I mean, seriously? Is that hideous thing necessary?? :lol: And I'm not sure how much I like the idea of Sam Rockwell being in this. Never have quite liked him much.
By nosferatu
If there was ever a film that was ripe for a remake then it would be Poltergeist. Don't get me wrong, I adore the original. It scared the crap out of me when I was younger and whenever I watch it now it somehow manages to tap into those same emotions oh so many years later.

Sadly, the trailer doesn't do it for me. Some of the CGI looks like it's been done by a junior film makers club and I don't have confidence in the casting as some of the acting looks over egged. Still, it's difficult to judge by a trailer alone and hopefully I'll experience some of that same magical fear as first time round. The "From the producers of" tag doesn't bode well as both those films scored 2 out of 5 Nos'.

If you are going to do a remake, particularly of an absolute classic, you can't do a modern version it needs a twist or a different setting. Take Ghostbusters, we are obviously going to hate it but maybe having a female cast might pull off a different type of film. It'll either be great or like me you will hate it with a ridiculous fervour that only Islamic State can rival.
By vibhandaka
I agree. I don't think it will top the original, but I will still see it!
By Raven
I still haven't seen it, but it is now playing in our "dollar" theater ($2.50 actually). I might give it a go tomorrow if I have enough time after another appointment. I haven't heard anything good about this remake, but I still want to see it.
By Dredge
I don't think I would go as far as to say it was terrible.

I did enjoy the film, but you know, Sam Rockwell...He's the man.

I went in knowing full well, that this movie would not hold up to the original, but in its own right, its not a bad film. There were some unnecessary scenes that I feel could have been more devoted to attention to the story. There are a few things thrown into the film just seem out of place for me. One thing for instance (without spoilers) is the fact that he comes home with hundreds of dollars worth of crap for the family immediately after his credit cards being declined at a hardware store. What exactly was the point of that whole scene?
By Raven
Dredge wrote: One thing for instance (without spoilers) is the fact that he comes home with hundreds of dollars worth of crap for the family immediately after his credit cards being declined at a hardware store. What exactly was the point of that whole scene?
I wondered about that as well. They could have skipped it easily.

I felt the movie was too rushed. The haunting in the original took it's time ramping up with scary little things here and there happening. This one was like "BAM! HAUNTED AND DONE"! I didn't really care about the family in the new one and I can't even remember the little girls name, where as everyone knows who Carol Anne is.. And the clown? Not scary at all. The original clown still freaks me out when I see him.

No, it wasn't a bad movie. Entertaining for what it was, but I feel sorry for kids these days that have to put up with these mediocre horror movies. :P