Classics or modern, discuss your picks for the sickest flicks.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I love the stories and visual style of the filmmaking studio Laika. They made the stop motion movies ParaNorman and Coraline. Their next feature is The BoxTrolls. I'll be keeping an eye out for this one. September 26. 2014.

By Ajax
Looks fun but I doubt it will top coraline. That movie was perfect awesome music characters etc. Paranorman feel short of it but still anawesome movie. I enjoyed it more then frankenweenie.
By nosferatu
I could watch a movie of just the model making. It looks great and can't wait until it is released. I have a fascination for behind the scenes. I love the attention to detail and intricacy but above all the craftsmanship.

In terms of craftsmanship, there is a watchmaker on the Isle of Man who makes watches that sell for£100,000 each. Each part is handmade and it takes three months to make each watch. I love that level of precision, engineering and craft. Just like The BoxTrolls.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24211691
By nosferatu
I saw The Boxtrolls on its release in the UK last week. I thought it was fantastic. A lot more traditional and mainstream than both Coraline and ParaNorman but I absolutely adored it. The Stop Go animation is beautiful, Archibald Snatcher is a great villain and more than worthy of a pattern. The storyline has no Pixar type schmaltz and avoids being over sentimental. For some minions it might not be dark enough as the trailers hint at something more dark and sinister. However, my kids, 9 & 5, loved it as did the neighbours kids who came along too. It helped that we were watching it in an old style, small independent cinema. Popcorn served in a ceramic dish, drinks in proper glasses and sweets in little buckets.

The only downside of The Boxtrolls is that my children have wanted the HappyMeal tie in toys. After two visits I said enough was enough and payed an employee to get me the extra toys and avoid the despair and self loathing of another visit.
By ghostface
I'm REALLY looking forward to this! Love both Coraline and ParaNorman. Stop-Motion Animation films never cease to amaze me.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Thanks for sharing your review, nosferatu. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it! This is one film I've been anticipating all year. I will admit, I do like the dark monster themes in Coraline and ParaNorman. ParaNorman especially struck a chord with me, so I'm not sure if The Boxrolls will connect on that particular level.

That said, I adore the stories and visuals that the LAIKA studio puts out. Nothing looks quite like it. They really push the boundaries of the stop motion animation technology, while still keeping a foot firmly planted in the old traditions. I've recently been reading the book The Art and Making of ParaNorman and it's clear that LAIKA has a love for their craft. Time consuming, attention to detail, with lots of heart.