Provide your feedback on the main site (besides the patterns).
Isn't it great we are already making our list of carves for this year?

I think Pinhead was the hardest for me because of the nails. It wasn't really hard to do, just difficult to cut them out because they are so small. Mine were not the shape they were intended to be.

I don't think any of the patterns here are hard. Some are more time consuming because of more detail, but still not really hard. I've carved some from other sites that I wondered what the heck I was thinking in choosing something so difficult. I really like extremely detailed patterns once carved, I just lack the patience to take my time and do them right. I have that problem with most craft projects I do. Although most I enjoy doing if it's something that takes a long time I end up just wanting it to be done. I've been playing with epoxy resin a lot these days and waiting for it to dry before doing something else to it is just killing me. :P

I think you should add Pinhead to your list this year, and of course post pictures!
if you do carve pinhead depending how good you are with a drill get a bit about the same width and slowly go down the line of the pins. i find my drill made doing barron mojo MUCH easier last year and always do eyes with a drill. thats just one way you could make it easier
I never carved Pin Head, so I would have to say the hardest pattern I carved was Roswell Grey. The reason behind that is: I carve all Michael's Craft Pumpkins, the nose got really thin, I broke the right nostrol off completely, never did finish it, took the craft pumpkin in for a speech as practice tool, shot it with my really cheap airsoft (note did not really put any holes besides the carved ones in it), and now it is sitting in my attic waiting for the next thing to happen to it.
I'm with RD on this one. Most patterns on here are not harder you just have to take more time with them. But if I had to choose I would say Gillman looks to be one of the hardest.
sloaner wrote:I'm with RD on this one. Most patterns on here are not harder you just have to take more time with them. But if I had to choose I would say Gillman looks to be one of the hardest.
I haven't carved Pinhead yet I think that's on my list this year. But I have carved Gillman and he was pretty tough. He looked great in the end though!
RavensDestiny wrote:Isn't it great we are already making our list of carves for this year?
I already got 6 Patterns down (within reason). and 3 are Guaranteed.

Sonic
Spider-Man
Patch Master

I'm on the fence about one of the 999 Happy Haunts, a very horrifying cat, and Un-dead Ted.

I don't think any of the patterns here are hard. Some are more time consuming because of more detail, but still not really hard. I've carved some from other sites that I wondered what the heck I was thinking in choosing something so difficult. I really like extremely detailed patterns once carved, I just lack the patience to take my time and do them right. I have that problem with most craft projects I do. Although most I enjoy doing if it's something that takes a long time I end up just wanting it to be done. I've been playing with epoxy resin a lot these days and waiting for it to dry before doing something else to it is just killing me. :P

I have only found, out of experience, 2 or 3 to be harder than I thought they would be.

Spider-Man
Baron Mojo
Jack Skellington (with Hands)

Those three were the most taxing, because when I carved them the following situations ensued:

a) I wasn't all that skilled when I tried Jack (With Hands)
b) Spider-Man told me a web of lies (the webbing on the outside of the big eye was a problem
c) Baron Mojo has very intricate parts (the Skulls around the eye most notably).
I aim to make all my patterns fairly easy to carve. That is to say, they hopefully won't fall apart while you're carving, due to insanely small lines and details. But as has been said, the difficulty usually has more to do with testing your patience. That's why I rank the pattern difficultly (in part) by how many pieces there are to cut out.

Almost certainty, the hardest ones are found in the challenging patterns section. And among them, Pinhead is way up there. I was resistant to even making that pattern, because I didn't want to torture you carvers. But people kept begging for the cenobite. I guess as any good sadomasochist will tell you, pain is the source of pleasure.
Yeah, I would bet Pinhead would be the most detailed and challenging. I always save the bigger 'kins for those crazy patterns. Call me a masochist but I do really like the super crazy detailed patterns. I tend to save them for the very end when my carving skills are honed as much as they are going to be.
Last edited by Hottie McNaughty on Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most difficult one I have carved is seed of chucky, only because there was a soft spot right in the middle of his face and as i was carving the scar lines i was holding my breath and praying he wouldn't break. lol.
I can imagine pinhead would be very time consuming, but so worth it when its finished. :D
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:I aim to make all my patterns fairly easy to carve. That is to say, they hopefully won't fall apart while you're carving, due to insanely small lines and details. But as has been said, the difficulty usually has more to do with testing your patience. That's why I rank the pattern difficultly (in part) by how many pieces there are to cut out.

Almost certainty, the hardest ones are found in the challenging patterns section. And among them, Pinhead is way up there. I was resistant to even making that pattern, because I didn't want to torture you carvers. But people kept begging for the cenobite. I guess as any good sadomasochist will tell you, pain is the source of pleasure.
Spidey might want a lesson in staying "sturdy" Ryan.... :wink:
Speaking of spidey (my avatar) I personally found it a well designed pattern with large well thought out cut outs. I carved it in foam. Hell raiser i had some issues with though which I also carved in foam. The nails are hard to get right. I think the Zombie pumpkins logo would be tough but have yet to try it. I think all the patterns are doable for most carvers with a little time and patience. Gillman can also be pretty tough as well as harvest turkey. I think we all have a pattern or two that has kicked our butts at some point and time. Sometimes even the easier ones gets the best of us. I know one year after carving 20 or so pumpkins I went to carve the grinch and mutilated it beyond repair and have yet to finish it. Only advice I can give is do it no matter how hard it seems your results may blow your mind. Ryan has a great skill in creating patterns with the fewest cuts and the most detail possible per cut.