Provide your feedback on the main site (besides the patterns).
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:I know with the Spider-Man pattern, I tried to simplify the webbing pattern on his face. Looking at several reference photos, I realized that he often had so many thin lines. So I asked myself... how can I reduce the number of webbing lines (and make them thicker) and have it still look like Spider-Man? That's the goal with most of my patterns. Simplify the details to the point that they are easily carvable, but still look like the intended character.

Another factor in carving difficulty is how organic the design is. If the design is of a natural creature with organic shapes, the carve is more forgiving. If you change the shapes slightly, it doesn't hurt the look of the characters. Meanwhile, designs with straight lines can be tougher because if those lines aren't just right, then it becomes more obvious that you didn't quite follow the lines when carving.

Also, 2D cartoon characters can be tricky. They are usually made up of thin outlines, and it's fairly easy to break those when carving.

You got it right on, its just Spider-Man 2009 You can see where it fell through as I was carving.

ITs just that corner that drove me nuts. (I fault myself for cutting out his eyes and working around the web however).
SuperSonic wrote:You got it right on, its just Spider-Man 2009 You can see where it fell through as I was carving.

ITs just that corner that drove me nuts. (I fault myself for cutting out his eyes and working around the web however).
Even if it broke the carve still looks good SuperSonic!
SuperSonic wrote:You got it right on, its just Spider-Man 2009 You can see where it fell through as I was carving.
Just curious SuperSonic, did you remove the pieces as you cut them out? Or did you leave them in place until you were done? With a design like Spider-Man, I bet leaving the cut pieces in place would help add stability until all the lines were cut.
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:
Just curious SuperSonic, did you remove the pieces as you cut them out? Or did you leave them in place until you were done? With a design like Spider-Man, I bet leaving the cut pieces in place would help add stability until all the lines were cut.

Well, they fall out as I was do it, as things tend to do while I'm carving, I like to see the image as I cut it, otherwise it just looks like a bunch of lines.

Here however, the instance of it falling apart before I could even let the pieces stay was the issue. I don't know why, it just didn't like me that year.
Pumpken wrote:Image

I would say this is probably one of the hardest ones I carved. I learned a lot about shading on this one.
:shock: :o That looks fantastic! It looks like it would've been hard. Great job!
I think Ryan kinda summed up the way I feel about ZP patterns, they're typically all really well designed to be carved & over the years I think I've carved most of his toughest ones - with satisfying results.

A few years ago I carved the one on my avatar - and that was on a very larage kin -it took me 9 hours over three nights. That one was my hardest ever; and no, not a ZP; and no, never again! :P

Maybe one day Ryan will unleash his creative talents on making a pattern or two that are in the "super challenging" catageory. Just for fun. LOL