Provide your feedback on the main site (besides the patterns).
By GUS
Ghostface, we tend to click "latest post"& work back past the spammer (as they are so random they tend to cover up the most recent genuine members post, therefore no need to click on anything especially if they've posted dubious pictures as part of their assault).

A lot of recent spammers have been for on-line pharmacies, of which the real pharmacies if registered & paying for promotion within listings ought to be brought to book with a mighty EFF OFF verbally to someone within their workforce who can then go whining that they are upset at someones treatment of them, all down to the cr@ppy practises of their adjutents.

So does the Canadian online pharmacy exist? I guess it does otherwise it wouldn't pay plebians to spam it to prominence whilst actually creating the image within peoples minds that it was less than savoury & honest.

the worst business sense.

Again luckily Izzy knows that advertising is hype not to be believed so won't click links without first checking validity with me (she even asks if she can have a piece of her own chocolate) ,,but uploaded images on a thread are a different matter to spam links, it's all spam though, regardless of content.[[/b]

I wish i'd tracked the IP & logged the content of that one because I'd like to have words with a site owner & provider & get them stripped down & arrange something for the owner in the real world at their home & business locations.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
ghostface wrote:This is probably a stupid question but spam can give you a virus, correct?
Spam comes in all shapes and sizes, so it depends what type you mean. By definition though, spammers usually just want to spread their links, shoving their products in your face (which are quite possibly scams just to get money).

As for viruses, I won't pretend to be an expert on how they work, but I've had my share and have needed to take steps to remove them. So I usually take a skeptical/paranoid approach on the web, trying to be extra careful.

I don't think reading a spam email or forum post should give you any trouble. Just avoid installing anything from an unknown source. For example, here's a trick that caught me a computer virus once:

I was on a website when an alert popped up, saying that my Adobe Flash plugin was out of date. This happens from time to time, so without giving it much though, I installed the update. The installation files did indeed contain the proper Flash update, but...... unfortunately it also contained a trojan virus that installed itself at the same time.

It was at that moment that I realized you can never be to careful when installing things. So my advice is - if you're about to execute a file, make sure you trust the source. In my above example with the Adobe Flash update... these days whenever I see a notification saying that I need to update the Flash plugin, I go directly to the Adobe website and download it from the trusted source.

If you follow these habits, you should be fairly safe. It's also well worth it to have a good antivirus program installed. The most trusted protection providers require a subscription fee, to ensure that your virus database is kept up to date, protecting you from all the newest threats. I use the anti-virus software from ESET. It's caught several threats for me, so it's good peace of mind.

Anyway, that's probably more info than you needed, haha. I'll close by saying... I've never gotten a virus from my own website. Feel safe. 8)
By ghostface
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:
ghostface wrote:This is probably a stupid question but spam can give you a virus, correct?
Spam comes in all shapes and sizes, so it depends what type you mean. By definition though, spammers usually just want to spread their links, shoving their products in your face (which are quite possibly scams just to get money).

As for viruses, I won't pretend to be an expert on how they work, but I've had my share and have needed to take steps to remove them. So I usually take a skeptical/paranoid approach on the web, trying to be extra careful.

I don't think reading a spam email or forum post should give you any trouble. Just avoid installing anything from an unknown source. For example, here's a trick that caught me a computer virus once:

I was on a website when an alert popped up, saying that my Adobe Flash plugin was out of date. This happens from time to time, so without giving it much though, I installed the update. The installation files did indeed contain the proper Flash update, but...... unfortunately it also contained a trojan virus that installed itself at the same time.

It was at that moment that I realized you can never be to careful when installing things. So my advice is - if you're about to execute a file, make sure you trust the source. In my above example with the Adobe Flash update... these days whenever I see a notification saying that I need to update the Flash plugin, I go directly to the Adobe website and download it from the trusted source.

If you follow these habits, you should be fairly safe. It's also well worth it to have a good antivirus program installed. The most trusted protection providers require a subscription fee, to ensure that your virus database is kept up to date, protecting you from all the newest threats. I use the anti-virus software from ESET. It's caught several threats for me, so it's good peace of mind.

Anyway, that's probably more info than you needed, haha. I'll close by saying... I've never gotten a virus from my own website. Feel safe. 8)
Thank you for the info. That helps me out a lot! :)