Provide your feedback on the main site (besides the patterns).
By Ajax
I just noticed a lot of people being grammar police or quote police. This is a nice friendly board and we really don't need that type of stuff. I didn't notice it before but lately I notice it a lot. It can make the poster feel stupid and create hostility on the boards. This is just a post to ask you to please stop.

I notice this on a lot of other boards across the internet and we don't need it here.

Thanks,

Ajax
Last edited by Ajax on Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
By paddy_babe
I hope I haven't corrected someone or quoted a mistake (I don't think I have) as my grammer and spelling isn't anything to write home about :lol:

I agree with you Ajax, to quote Tigger;
"Spelling isn't everything" (hoo hoo hooooo) :D "
By heeljeff
I agree, to an extent. As a courtesy we should at least try to speak and spell correctly.
Peeple who tipe lik this shuld jus be banned.
By Raven
I agree with heeljeff and Ajax. I know I make a lot of mistakes in grammar, spelling and punctuation. While I think people should make an effort we all will make mistakes. I don't believe anyone is here to be graded. Remember also when you see someone making a lot of mistakes here and other places on the internet that English may not be their first language. I really have not seen anyone being corrected here. I don't read every single post though. And if you do correct someone you better make sure you are doing everything perfect in your posts.
By SuperSonic
Well I do tend to make alot of mistakes due to typing fast so if i don't capitalize an I at the start of a sentence its due to speed. However im not one for spelling mistakes (I don't know how to spell ALL words but most in my vocab) but if i correct someone i make sure what im correctiing should/n't be corected
By stormqueen29
I guess this is aimed at me more than anyone. I certainly didn't mean to put anyone down or offend anyone. I was more or less just playing along with everyone else quoting. I even made fun of myself by saying I probably had it wrong.

In retrospect, it was a bad idea. I guess I'll be more careful about what I say from now on.

Gale
By Zombie Pumpkins!
What do you mean by "quote police" Ajax?

I'm all for good spelling and grammar. But everyone makes mistakes at times. As long as the general idea comes across, I suppose that is the important part. If someone's post was in really danger of being confusing or hard to read, I may correct someone's spelling (but without bringing attention to it).

So as a basic rule, I think we can probably all agree to do our best with spelling/grammar, but if someone makes a mistake, no need to tease or correct.
By GUS
I haven't seen anyone getting hysterical over grammar ?? (somewhat bewildered by this thread actually), full quotes where a line will do make for extra reading, but that's about all..
Nothing bad in this friendly forum to date, (never seen a flame here), as we're all pretty courteous & polite with carving primarily in mind, not blinged out diamante carving cutlery customisation, vying for attention or special recognition.

(yo Ryan, pimp my funkin ..kin)

& certainly no sharp red ink circling glaring grammatical errors?
..or have some of us missed an interesting thread?
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Gus brings up a good point about use of the "quote" feature.

Ya know, like this....
GUS wrote:full quotes where a line will do make for extra reading, but that's about all..
In the interest of a clean and easy read, I might suggest editing down the text in the quote box to contain just the part of the other person's post that you are referencing (as opposed to repeating 5 paragraphs, just to comment on one thing that person said).

In relation to that, if you are responding to a post that came right before you, there's usually no need to quote it, since it will displayed right above your post and we can assume that's what you're responding to.

To quote Barbossa, these more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules. Something to keep in mind, but you won't be tossed overboard if you make a mistake.
By GUS
The other thing that may be worth remembering, if anyone is using a language translation tool such as Google's ..the more grammatically correct it is the more likely it will be to make sense once it's translated, ..translatory tools are dodgier than a game of Russian roulette at best.

(Some of them are actually now like wiki-pedia & can be altered by the public)!

Perhaps this is the time for me to rent that film "Lost in translation"?
By Ajax
Sorry didn't want to make anyone feel bad it was just something I have been noticing and thought I would bring it up. I guess in hindsight alot of the post with corrections were probably done in good fun and I just took the wrong meaning from them. Sometimes people don't understand the tone of your voice in a message so you have to go to extra lengths to try to make them know it's a joke or that they are just razzing you. :D I just notice alot of this stuff at other forums and just don't want to see this forum go down that road is all. I don't mind it when you find my words for me Ryan :) sometimes i'm just to lazy to google it myself.
By Hottie McNaughty
I'll admit that I try really hard to use proper grammar and spelling. I try to not correct anyone but I will admit that if I see a post with no paragraphs, no punctuation and no caps I find it really difficult to read and tend to skip over it. :oops:
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Another good point Hottie. I'm a fan of a paragraph break every so often. Sometimes I'll see a post that is very long, and all in one big chunk. I usually break it up into paragraphs. I assume the person who posted won't mind, I'm just trying to help get their post read, not skipped over.

In the spirit of being tolerant of the occasional error though, I won't edit the title of this post. :D
By Ajax
zombiepumpkins wrote:Another good point Hottie. I'm a fan of a paragraph break every so often. Sometimes I'll see a post that is very long, and all in one big chunk. I usually break it up into paragraphs. I assume the person who posted won't mind, I'm just trying to help get their post read, not skipped over.

In the spirit of being tolerant of the occasional error though, I won't edit the title of this post. :D
The editing doesn't bother me at all. :lol: Ryan this was never against anything you do personally with your forum. I am just strictly talking about when people point out someones mistakes in grammer or quotes from movies. I think it's fine to Edit them and make them correct I have no problem with that as long as there not singled out for making a mistake. You never know, english might not be there first language as someone said earlier, and this could upset them.

The errors in the title are just driving the perfectionist in you mad aren't they Ryan. :lol:
By GUS
ogo on Ryan uno u 12

..couldn't resist, sorry!