Provide your feedback on the main site (besides the patterns).
The 2012 Pumpkin Carving Gallery is complete.

Past years are also being converted to the new format soon, although it takes a bit of work since I have to reinsert each photo into the new setup.

So... did your photo make the cut? My apologies if your hard work isn't featured in the gallery. :( Trust me, it was painful to whittle 1000 photos down to only 60 or so. But I want to keep the galleries a manageable size. Something that even casual viewers can browse without brain-numbing fatigue. But rest assured, every photo uploaded has been viewed and saved for posterity.

How were these photos chosen? Well I kept the following things in mind...

1. I wanted to show at least one clear photo of each new pattern design released in 2012. So in a way, each year's gallery will be representative of the designs that were new and popular that season.

2. The majority of photos I receive show the glowing design in total darkness. So a way to stand out is to use some lighting so you can actually see the pumpkin surface. Ambient lighting. Colored lighting. Candles. These add some atmosphere and show off the pumpkin better.

3. Creative props and unusual settings can really help make your photo unique and memorable. I'm always impressed when people make an entire themed display.

4. Photographing yourself (or family, kids, friends) adds a lot of personality. Even better if you're wearing a Halloween costume. The best pumpkin/portrait photos have a costume that match the theme of the carving.

5. Large group shots are something you don't see all the time. If too spread out, it can be hard to see the carvings. But nicely arranged pumpkin piles are always impressive.

6. Anything else that makes your carving more individual is great. Adding some lettering. Carving multiple patterns on a single pumpkin. Things like that.

So these are just some thoughts to consider when taking photos of your pumpkins in the future. And while many used props to decorate their pumpkin, that's not absolutely necessary. Even a pumpkin with good lighting, keenly carved, and photographed with crisp focus, can rise to the top of the heap.

When you look at the gallery now, there's so much variety and creativity. Lots of color and unique composition. Thanks to everyone who submitted photos. I hope you enjoy browsing to selected pics. I'll announce the addition of the revamped old galleries as they are completed.
I really need to think about having better props and scenery when I take pics this year... After thumbing through the gallery, it's no wonder why my pics didn't make the cut, LoL. Kudos to all the excellent carves and even better photos!!
By Ajax
Real nice shots and much more manageable for the viewer. I agree with just choosing one or two of the best shots of each pattern or group makes a lot of sense. One of my favorite shots is the one of the Munster's on one kin with the candles really awesome. I'll definitely be doing more carves with multiple patterns in the future. Great choices can't wait to see what pics you pull out of the earlier years it will be neat to see the progression over the years and how much better we've all become at carving and photographing. Thanks for using a few of my pics hopefully I can compete next year, the competition is fierce and looking at my pics next to some in the gallery I really need to up my game and maybe get a better camera. Evil dead pattern this weekend? :D