Provide your feedback on the main site (besides the patterns).
sodajazz wrote:Think the whole point of the MH is to give a bit extra so a nominated charity can benefit. The 'secret v.i.p.' is just Ryans way of saying thank you.
Figured I'd read the thread before I posted. I'm glad someone brought this very valid point up before I did. I gladly give my $20 to Ryan knowing that it does go to a good cause. I don't sit here and count how many patterns I'm interested in carving because I know Ryan is going to come up with some stellar patterns for the site and MH members. MH isn't a shameless grab for cash like it could be on other sites.
I was actually enjoying Gigs messages until the "cheerleader" comment came out and the "better than you" attitude reared it's ugly head. I'm glad his "problem" has been solved for next year.
For the record, I don't hate anyone, or this forum. If I did, I wouldn't be trying, so dang hard, to make things better, for all of us - from the person that buys a $5 package, all the way up to Ryan's charity. Change doesn't happen by accident. It takes work and perseverence.

Ryan isn't going to know that people want change if any time someone brings up a suggestion, the people respond with "That's the way it is, and the money goes to charity".

Let me make a case in point. In the "Previous VIP patterns" thread, everyone was against every suggestion I posted. Then Ryan came by and said, "well, maybe releasing one of the old ones is possible". And all of a sudden, all the detractors were coming out of the woodworks, with suggestions for old patterns that they wanted to see again.

Logical conclusion - deep down, everyone would like to see old patterns released, or at least, re-visited. But for some reason, there is a culture of taboo around discussing this topic. All I'm trying to do, is to get people to admit that if they'd like to see some things done, even remotely, differently, they shouldn't be afraid of making suggestions, for fear of upsetting the status quo .

Now, Hottie, I'm glad you're afraid of change - at least that's something; a reasonable response, with at least some modicum of genuiness behind it. But this isn't about me not getting a response that I'm not happy about. This is about not getting a response, period. The only answer I get, when I pose a suggestion, is "it's because he gives the money to charity". I give more money and time to charities on my own, than they know what to do with. I give money and donate several days month, doing volunteer work. So I'm not all that concerend with anyone's opinion.

The whole "I do it to give to charity and get a thank you", is frankly, hooey. If you're really concerned about donating to charities, do so of your own free accord. How do you know Ryan doesn't give your money to the "Association of Baby Seal Clubbers", or a political group you are absolutely opposed to? You don't, and he probably doesn't. But I promise you, when you were looking for a place that had pumpkin stencils, you didn't put "pumpkin stencil charity" into Google. More than likely, like all of us, you started with "free pumpkin stencils" :lol:

Nos, I am absolutely intent on goading responses. That's called a discussion. It's how changes get made. Not by everyone agreeing with each other, with no reasoning behind it. I mean, if someone put forth, an absolutely logically reasoned argument as to why we shouldn't see what the patterns are before we buy, or why they need to be kept a secret, I'd be thrilled to accept it. I get it, it's Ryan's website and it's his rules, and he donates to charity, so please refrain from those. I've read a good portion of Ryan's posts - he's actually a very reasonable person. There's no reason to believe, that if enough people voiced interest, he wouldn't be open to accomodating, or open to discussion. It seems you guys are more against change than the actual site owner. BTW, good luck with the pounce wheel - it's far less messy than the carbon paper. You'll wonder how you did without it :lol:

TK, I think you have things backwards - I'm not superior to anyone. First, if I was, I would've been able to convince all of you, pages ago, instead of repeating myself, ad nauseum. Second, I have been a big detractor to the "Secret VIP Society". I believe that all patterns should be visible to all members, up front. Then if people chose to buy the "VIP" package, they could. And if they do, the money could go to charity.

-Fred
I think you are slightly missing the point of everyone's posts. It's fine that you are expressing your opinion, suggesting a different way of doing things and defending your thoughts. What people are upset about, and what everyone has posted again and again is we are not happy with being told we are the "cheerleading squad" and only accepting things how they are because Ryan says so. Maybe you don't read all the posts but there are many, many other suggestions from other members on changing things, yet you want to tell us you are the only one and we are basically all sheep, followers, going to drink the kool-aid. THAT is what has everyone upset, not that you are suggesting a change. EVeryone was fine with debating the pro's and cons of keeping the VIP patterns secret until you insulted them. You keep stating all we are doing is referring to the charity aspect of becoming a MH member. There are other reasons that people have posted, in this thread, myself included. Perhaps you missed all that since you are the one who keeps referring to that one point. You are not seeing past your own argument, and once you insult people they tend to not want to play nice anymore.
I get quite the reading workout with Gigs posts. I get your point I guess. Another way I like to look at it is flipping through my pattern book and seeing some that were only released for one year. It reminds me of that years Halloween, I can go hey I remember when that pattern was released. It's the same year super sonic dressed as his Avatar. I know I could do that with any pattern but it almost like a memento from that year you were a member.

I would sometimes like all the patterns to be released at the same time so I could plan my carves but I also like the fun of waiting every few days for a new one. We have to extend the Halloween season as long as we can. Plus as mesmark said earlier usually 1 or 2 VIP's become public the next year. Keeping them a secret doesn't really hurt anything. One last thing, Ryan usually doesn't have all the VIP's up until the 30th so most people would have been signed up by then. I know they could upgrade but might not if its that close to the 31st.
Gigatron wrote:Since the only answer I seem to get to any suggestion is "But Ryan gives the extra money to charity", you can be pleased with yourselves
my ignored post in short: I view them as simply a thank you. I get more than a $20 value from this site all year round.

new: I have no interest in the release of retired patterns.

I have suggested Ryan offer even larger donation options (up until 2-3 years ago everything was based on a 3-tier donation system.) I said he should have $50 and $100 options. But he didn't listen to me. I assumed he had his reasons. Things do change and I think they change based on a business model.

But, I'm done. I've got fun Halloween things to do. Gigatron can have the last word as far as I 'm concerned. but hopefully this is the last thread ...
Dadja wrote:What is all this commotion? I leave you people alone for a few weeks and all hell breaks loose?!? :)
:spits drink out laughing: :D
Gigatron wrote: Nos, I am absolutely intent on goading responses. That's called a discussion. It's how changes get made. Not by everyone agreeing with each other, with no reasoning behind it.
Goading responses is most definitely not a discussion. A discussion involves an exchange of opinion. You seem unwilling to accept the opinion of others. Even now you are still belittling their replies just because you think their reasons to be invalid. Everyone on this forum has a voice and are encouraged to use it. They are members and are entitled to agree or disagree with whatever they choose.Its their opinion. They deserve mutual respect not mockery.
Im a Ryan cheerleader. Give me a R, give me a Y, give me a A, give me a N, whats that spell RYAN the greatest patchmaster ever. I support everything he does. Before Ryan I was carving those subpar Pumpkin Masters patterns so im greatful for this site and the other similiar sites out there who make carving fun again. Personally I think the V.I.P. patterns should be secret. If Ryan offers 10 extra patterns for 10 extra bucks than so be it. I don't consider myself in a special club I just think that I paid 10 dollars for 10 patterns which is fine by me. Keep up the good work Ryan and can't wait for that Pennywise pattern this year :wink: .
nosferatu wrote:
Gigatron wrote: Nos, I am absolutely intent on goading responses. That's called a discussion. It's how changes get made. Not by everyone agreeing with each other, with no reasoning behind it.
Goading responses is most definitely not a discussion. A discussion involves an exchange of opinion. You seem unwilling to accept the opinion of others. Even now you are still belittling their replies just because you think their reasons to be invalid. Everyone on this forum has a voice and are encouraged to use it. They are members and are entitled to agree or disagree with whatever they choose.Its their opinion. They deserve mutual respect not mockery.

It is absolutely a discussion. What we are having, right now, is a discussion. It might be heated, it might be pointless, it might be goofy, but by God, it's a discussion.

That's all this thread is about. St0ney wondered why people can't see the dang VIP patterns, and this secret society that's been built around them. And before anyone denies there's a secret society built around them, go back and read the numerous posts of people saying "I like that it's a secret".

I said "I agree, St0ney. I don't feel there should be secrets kept". Then I got bombarded by the "It's a secret because Ryan gives money to charity" rhetoric. Followed by multiple re-postings and "I agree"s. Hence, I referred to some of you as cheerleaders, to EACH OTHER. Somewhere along the lines, the angry mobs decided that I had called everyone a Ryan cheerleader. Which would ne nuts to be considered an insult, because I gladly said that I appreciate the immense amount of work that he puts into the site.

All I'm trying to figure out is why people are so against the idea, of being able to see the patterns before you get the option to buy. Even if all the patterns aren't released until Oct. 30th, print them out, and carve them the following year. The only time you won't have VIP patterns on your pumpkins, is the first year. If people see the patterns and don't like them, they can still send money to Ryan, if they so desire. And maybe more people would buy into it, if they saw a pattern they liked. Yes, there may be people who, based on the patterns for that year, decide not to buy in. But without years of data collection, who's to say that ZP still wouldn't come out on top? To assume that the site would lose money, only proves that people might not be happy with the patterns chosen for VIP status.

For instance, I'd prefered if VIP patterns #3, 4, and 5 were regular releases and Thor (even if he counted as 2), the SHIELD logo, Tarman and even the two latest Jacks were VIP patterns - those are just damned cool, and I'd pay extra for those. But the current #3, 4, and 5 - not so much. Is it personal opinion - absolutely. But I can't believe that most people, given the option, wouldn't like to choose which patterns they pay extra for - or donate to charity for, or anything else.

In all honesty, I really do like you guys and want to be friends with all of you. I do appologize for getting heated, and hurting any feelings, in the process. I just think that if everyone asked nicely, maybe we could see changes (even if was only a poll to vote on VIP patterns).

-Fred
Enough of this nonsense about the VIP's!!!!! Can't everyone just drop this topic of interest like a bad ******* habit? Jeeze. :x

I am totally SICK. TO. DEATH, of this! Why can't we all just leave Ryan alone to do what HE wants to do, hmmm?

It's HIS site, NOT YOURS! :x :x
By Raven
SuperSonic wrote:Enough of this nonsense about the VIP's!!!!! Can't everyone just drop this topic of interest like a bad ******* habit? Jeeze. :x

I am totally SICK. TO. DEATH, of this! Why can't we all just leave Ryan alone to do what HE wants to do, hmmm?

It's HIS site, NOT YOURS! :x :x
Fine, Sonic, we can drop it. So lets discuss your missing avatar. You need to get it back because I would rather look at the picture than actually read who is posting what. :P
By NOONE
wookie66 wrote:Im a Ryan cheerleader. Give me a R, give me a Y, give me a A, give me a N, whats that spell RYAN the greatest patchmaster ever.
GOOOOOO TEAM! (I do a kick then notice I am not flexible... :shock: :| )
RavensDestiny wrote: Fine, Sonic, we can drop it. So lets discuss your missing avatar. You need to get it back because I would rather look at the picture than actually read who is posting what. :P
Thank heavens. This was totally getting on my nerves. Now, about that avatar.....Working on it. Can't seem to find a working link! -____-

I won't lie Terri, I do the same thing half the time!!! :P Occasionally I DO tend to look at who posted.

Occasionally. :P
On topic: I could care less if the VIP's are visible or not. Even if I didn't love them, I'd still purchase the MH package. If I didn't like the patterns, then I'd just look at it as an extra donation. I donate a LOT to various charities, I a co-founded a charitable organization and donate a shocking amount of my time. I'm an easy sell when it comes to charities. Ryan always states what charity it is so I can be assured it's not "Club All The Baby Seals In The Most Inhumane Way Possible".

Off topic: I can't figure this avatar thing out. I've never had this issue but it's not letting me link. Boo!
By Raven
Hottie McNaughty wrote: Off topic: I can't figure this avatar thing out. I've never had this issue but it's not letting me link. Boo!
I used tinypic.com to host mine and it seems to work fine.. at least I can see it. :)